5 reasons journos don't deserve review copies

Home Forums Off Topic 5 reasons journos don't deserve review copies

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Shinra Kuroki Shinra Kuroki 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jakob Morris
    Jakob Morris
    Participant
    Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

My retort to his 5 reasons.

1. That’s what a black list is for. Review copies are a courtesy, not a requirement. You don’t need to use a nuke to do the job of a scalpel.

2. Their job isn’t to help the video game industry, it is to help the consumer. Sure some news sites insert their personal politics into it, but see why reason 1 won’t work again.

3. I don’t see this as a reason why to hold review copies. The game company could require no numeric value be put on their game’s review as a term for receiving the review copy, but most companies love numbers. Sure their arbitrary, but caveat emptor. If you follow number scores, it doesn’t take long to notice their worthless. How is this policy going to stop arbitrary number ratings again???

4. How is limiting their playtime to less than 24 hours before the article has to go up going to fix that?!?!?

5. See number 1 again.

He seems to be under the impression that game companies are required to give copies to journalists. He also believes YouTubers & Streamers will not fall into the corrupt ways that current journalists have. We all know power doesn’t corrupt at all *rolls eyes*.

Let’s put it to brass tax. The money saved on games by journalists is minimal compared to the economies of scale. It would hardly scratch their bottom line. One day before release review copies will lead to more rushed reviews, period. Some reviewers can rely on their audience to wait to hear their input on a game, but definitively not all. Consumers should be free to choose between the “Hastily done but able to make a purchasing decision day 1” review and the “Master’s Thesis Level” review. Both have their ups & downs.

To see this 1 day before release review copy strategy as anything other than a blatant attempt to maintain preorder culture confounds me. You don’t have to like any of the video game news sites, but the enemy of your enemy is not your friend. Game companies are prone to pushing their own agendas too & I see in no way how this policy will remedy any of the problems presented in the video. Game news sites will still push their agendas, they will spew misinformation, & they will still produce subpar reviews compared to the super niche E-Star you found on the world wide web. Now all your guaranteeing is that it will be even more phoned in. If the current video game journalism industry won & lost readership based on accuracy & effort, a lot of them would have gone down the toilet a long time ago. Do not cut off your nose to spite you face, they don’t need any more reason to phone in their reviews. This policy doesn’t hurt any of the bad journalists; it just make the good journalists’, who actually do put the time & effort into the reviews, jobs impossible.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.