Ask After Hours

Home Forums CCS After Hours Ask After Hours

This topic contains 50 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by MachinizerXS MachinizerXS 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

HI Kevsterboy, welcome to the forums.

A debate could be fun, but the problem is that we almost always find some middle-ground on issues that we have staunch disagreements about. There’s been several instances where members didn’t see eye-to-eye (Max vs Me on Tell-Tale Games, Kenny vs all of us on Nintendo’s recent anti-consumer faux pas, etc) but to hold a rigid viewpoint isn’t really our style. A prime example is our current civil discussion where we all came in with different perceptions of what constitutes as ‘art in games’ and we found common-ground:

“If you don’t flex your opinions, you’ll be broken under the weight of the world”

But if you have any ideas for debate topics, we’re all ears 😀

MachinizerXS
    MachinizerXS
    Participant

Hi I’m relatively new to the forums and all but I’ve been a big fan for a long time now. I’ve been wracking my brain for questions to ask and I guess after the last wild cards I do have a few.

1. With how well Deadpool has done in theaters how would you and Cinemax feel about a Deadpool netflix series like how they’ve done with Daredevil LaughingMan?

2. Given Captain America becoming gay. Do you think then that comic writers could out two popular super heroes as being lesbian lovers or would that get the feminists to burn DC and Marvel to the ground?

3. And I guess this is a question for you personally LaughngMan. As someone who also wants to break into writing a novel of their own what is the best source of motivation? Normally for me it’s hard for me to get started until I just sit down, open up the word doc, and start typing. Even then it’s hard to want to get that word doc open in the first place cause I keep getting distracted. So would unplugging the internet help? Guess I’m wondering how you get fired up to spending most of the day writing up a huge first draft.

CineMax
    CineMax
    Participant

“2. Given Captain America becoming gay. Do you think then that comic writers could out two popular super heroes as being lesbian lovers or would that get the feminists to burn DC and Marvel to the ground?”

Are you kidding me? The feminists would love that. 😀 Have Mary Jane Watson dump Peter Parker and Pepper Potts dump Iron Man and BAM — all of a sudden the two of them are scissoring each other for 24 pages straight. Sure, most Marvel fans would be taken aback by this seemingly arbitrary story development. But at least Salon and Mary Sue would get to sing their praises to Marvel about how “progressive” their comics have become.

Seriously, though: This is why I’d rather writers just come up with new characters and do whatever they want with them. About a decade ago, Marvel created a new superhero team that was their equivalent of the Teen Titans. They were called the Young Avengers. Each member, while not directly related to their main Avenger counterpart, was in some way based on Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, etc.

Point is, two of the members, Hulkling and Wiccan (based on Hulk and Thor respectively), were revealed to be a gay couple halfway through the series’ run. Nothing against that. A much better move than Marvel arbitrarily deciding that Hulk and Thor were now gonna become bunk-buddies.

Same thing with female characters. If tomorrow Marvel decides that Captain Marvel will now become a bi-sexual and get down and dirty with Black Widow… eh, okay? Kind of a hamfisted reveal.

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

Hi I’m relatively new to the forums and all but I’ve been a big fan for a long time now. I’ve been wracking my brain for questions to ask and I guess after the last wild cards I do have a few.

1. With how well Deadpool has done in theaters how would you and Cinemax feel about a Deadpool netflix series like how they’ve done with Daredevil LaughingMan?

3. And I guess this is a question for you personally LaughngMan. As someone who also wants to break into writing a novel of their own what is the best source of motivation? Normally for me it’s hard for me to get started until I just sit down, open up the word doc, and start typing. Even then it’s hard to want to get that word doc open in the first place cause I keep getting distracted. So would unplugging the internet help? Guess I’m wondering how you get fired up to spending most of the day writing up a huge first draft.

1. Ehhhhhh…. I think that the shtick would be a bit too much for binge-watching. I love Deadpool, but I can see how you can have ‘too much of a good thing’. Deadpool was a nut-punch to Hollywood Super Hero movies, and I think a 10 ep run (as fun as it could be) would water down the character. I dunno, I’m not adverse, but forever skeptical.

3. Well, if I knew how to be motivated I would have something actually finished by now. 😉
    My problem is that I go back and ‘rewrite’, either because I’m OCD like that, or I hit a major hurdle that destroys the story (wrote a 300 page horror story ala Silent Hill….. it died in the middle because there was no place to go).

SOOOOOOOO… So… So…

For motivation, I find that having someone who actually READS your stuff and says “when’s the next part coming?” is pretty vital. Otherwise, it just feels masturbatory without an audience to appreciate the good and offer constructive criticisms of the bad before they become irrepairable cluster-fucks.

Second, don’t start something new until you finish the first thing, even if it sucks. Always an issue because I’m always thinking of something ‘more fun’ to write about. Jot the idea down, and power through (something I never do)

Thirdly, ORGANIZE. I know there’s two theories of writing: one is plot it all out, the other is to ‘wing it’ like Stephen King.

This is a false-dilemma fallacy. The third option is to have a flexible structure, and wing the bits to get from A to B to C. To plot everything out meticulously would make the story rigid and possibly feel ‘unnatural’, while Stephen King-ing it would basically result in a Stephen King novel: Excellent premise… “meh” execution/resolution. Get a generally decent direction and connect the dots on the fly. You might even be able to connect dots where you never realized they existed.

If you need help on plot, get this: https://amzn.com/158297294X

Finally, MOST VALUABLY, watch this for some inspiration once you get a general idea on what you want to write about:

Cheers!

demoneater
    Participant

Hi new guy here so if I breaking a custom please be forgiving. Was curious if there will be an after hours on e3 this year. Add to this curiosity who had the biggest non-show (either Microsoft or Ea in my mind) of the conference?

MachinizerXS
    MachinizerXS
    Participant

1. Ehhhhhh…. I think that the shtick would be a bit too much for binge-watching. I love Deadpool, but I can see how you can have ‘too much of a good thing’. Deadpool was a nut-punch to Hollywood Super Hero movies, and I think a 10 ep run (as fun as it could be) would water down the character. I dunno, I’m not adverse, but forever skeptical.

3. Well, if I knew how to be motivated I would have something actually finished by now. 😉
    My problem is that I go back and ‘rewrite’, either because I’m OCD like that, or I hit a major hurdle that destroys the story (wrote a 300 page horror story ala Silent Hill….. it died in the middle because there was no place to go).

SOOOOOOOO… So… So…

For motivation, I find that having someone who actually READS your stuff and says “when’s the next part coming?” is pretty vital. Otherwise, it just feels masturbatory without an audience to appreciate the good and offer constructive criticisms of the bad before they become irrepairable cluster-fucks.

Second, don’t start something new until you finish the first thing, even if it sucks. Always an issue because I’m always thinking of something ‘more fun’ to write about. Jot the idea down, and power through (something I never do)

Thirdly, ORGANIZE. I know there’s two theories of writing: one is plot it all out, the other is to ‘wing it’ like Stephen King.

This is a false-dilemma fallacy. The third option is to have a flexible structure, and wing the bits to get from A to B to C. To plot everything out meticulously would make the story rigid and possibly feel ‘unnatural’, while Stephen King-ing it would basically result in a Stephen King novel: Excellent premise… “meh” execution/resolution. Get a generally decent direction and connect the dots on the fly. You might even be able to connect dots where you never realized they existed.

If you need help on plot, get this: https://amzn.com/158297294X

Finally, MOST VALUABLY, watch this for some inspiration once you get a general idea on what you want to write about:
    <iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/zLBEFvMkQCo?feature=oembed” allowfullscreen=”” frameborder=”0″ height=”360″ width=”640″></iframe>

Cheers!

Honestly I’m pretty OCD myself so planning out everything used to be the way I did things, but then I began to realize that the more I planned out my story the more I’d add to it. Thus making it more convoluted than it needed to be. This time I’m going for more of a simple idea. What always killed me was that I’d keep trying to plan out the entire world and the whole story but by doing that I’d just keep adding more and more characters who were relevant or plot until it just became too big. So as I said I’m trying this time to do a smaller scope with a set amount of characters, and I guess this time I kinda want to wing it a little instead of planning things out too much.

But it doesn’t help too that I get distracted a lot. “Oh there’s this book/manga I wanna read, game I wanna play, show I wanna watch.” and then I seem to never get anything done because I’m used to focusing on one thing at a time. I’m definitely not good at multitasking. Sometimes it feels like the times when I’m most motivated to write is when I have nothing else to do that could tear me away from actually writing. So I guess I’m wondering how I feel motivated enough to actually sit down and write and still make time for everything else. I know a lot of writers schedule stuff to make it easier on them, but I’ve never been good at following a strict schedule so I’ve always felt like “okay I’ll get to writing after I get this or that done. This way nothing will distract me.” But I’m starting to realize I shouldn’t do that since I’m not getting anything done this way. I suppose thats where my question came from then.

So at this point I know what I wanna write about though. Since I seem to have a problem with plot driven stories I figured why not do character driven stories where it’s more about the characters and less about some overall deep plot? I even know what I wanna write as well. I guess I just have to start getting it down on paper. I took a look at the links you shared on the last page as well as in your post and they seem interesting, and worth looking at since I feel like they could help me become better. I just know I have to stop holding myself back though. I appreciate the advice man so thanks.

One more thing actually. I remember talking to some art student a couple years ago and they were adamant that you can’t be a real writer unless you have a writing degree. What is your thought on that? I sort of believe you don’t need a degree to prove that you can write. I feel as though you can practice and self teach yourself to become a good writer. Especially if you put your work out there, ask for help, and peoples opinions. I believe anyone can be a writer if they have an idea and imagination as well as the courage to put it down on paper and try to get it published.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.