Charlie Hebdo falls into controversy over comic strip on recent Italian disaster

Home Forums Off Topic Charlie Hebdo falls into controversy over comic strip on recent Italian disaster

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Jake_L Jake_L 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

You may all remember the #JeSuisCharlieHebdo event that happened last year, a satirist French magazine depicted an image of the prophet Mohammed and they got attacked by radical terrorists. Then everyone came out defending it for what was an authentic attack on freedom of speech. Well, the very same magazine recently published a… tasteless comic strip regarding a recent earthquake on Italy which ended in almost 300 dead.

The comic strip has sparked outrage over the internet, and people are cracking up over it. Personally, I do find it very distasteful because it takes advantage of a recent tragedy to earn a couple euros; though I don’t believe they should hide it. It is offensive but I’m going to be honest here, it would be very hypocritical of me to say offensive is bad because I myself laugh at a lot of racist jokes. Best way to put it is that there’s a time and place for every joke, and this was neither of them.

Thoughts?

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Luke V
    Participant

Hahhahhahahhahahhahahahhah
    That’s really funny.
    I don’t really find it offensive. Then again I’m not Italian I suppose they would find it offensive but these cartoons have always held nothing sacred and I believe people can do whatever they want (with the exception of acts of physical violence) if they want to make stupid jokes at the expense of tragedies they can, because that is freedom in it’s purist form. Being an asshole.

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

Feelings, according to some psychological approaches, are considered heuristics. They are short cuts because your brain can only process so much at a time. They are unreliable sometimes (the faster the short cut, the bigger the margin of error) and they lack the depth & nuance of full fledged thought processes. From that point of view, offense is a feeling that conveys that you should change or distance yourself from something. Since what you want to change or distance yourself from varies from person to person, what offends people varies from individual to individual.

Being offended is not a reason to want something to change, but it could indicate that you possess a reason that warrants a discussion about if the thing should change. The problem with “This offends me, change it” is that the speaker assumes they have good reason & expect people to accept it without articulating that reason, sometimes without even bothering to do the metacognition necessary to become aware of why they are offended.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

The problem with “This offends me, change it” is that the speaker assumes they have good reason & expect people to accept it without articulating that reason, sometimes without even bothering to do the metacognition necessary to become aware of why they are offended.

And there’s no better example to that than the SJW’s we’ve been cursed with. Surprisingly, I’ve yet to see one touch the discussion.

While the strip doesn’t affect me personally; I can sort of understand the perspective of someone who could take it as an offense. My country just suffered an earthquake where 300 people died, and these people take it as a joke. I wouldn’t have minded if they had waited a bit, but it takes some guts to compare the suffering of someone who’s right now, suffering; and turn it into a lame joke.

Then again, this is only founded on an emotional basis; yet there’s no motive or reason why the strip should be hidden (which I am 100% against, everyone can show whatever they like without being censored).

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Jake_L
    Jake_L
    Participant

It’s not a very good joke.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.