Controversial films: are they even controversial now?

Home Forums Off Topic Controversial films: are they even controversial now?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by V-Tundra V-Tundra 2 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

So I’ve just watched what many people consider the most controversial film ever made, Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma (Saló or the 120 days of sodomy) being warned I would come out grossed out and shocked and… it just looked “normal” to me, nothing bad. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t find rape, coprophagia and sadism as normal things but it just didn’t shock me as I think I would and after long meditating, I think I’ve found the answer:

After being shown hundreds of shock sites, the film didn’t come out as disgusting to me, just fairly attractive, so this raises me a question: With all the available shocking content on the internet, are controversial films REALLY as shocking as people say?

Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma was a highly controversial film by the time it came out and it still remains banned on several countries, but let’s compare an old film to something modern like 2 girls 1 cup. The difference being Salò was staged, while 2 girls 1 cup (as far as people are concerned) was real, but it seems more people are shocked at something staged than the real thing. With all the “disturbing” content online that has caused a lot of commotion on the internet, many “controversial” films have been slapped as “bland” and “unoriginal”.

Besides Saló, there are other films like Human Centipede, Serbian Film which have the reputation of being “Horror masterpieces” but come out as boring, stupid bullshit because you know you can find more disturbing and more eye-popping things online which are actually real; but yet many people shock themselves at tiny things which in reality, amount to nothing spectacular or horrifying. Granted, there are a few gems out there but not heard of.

So, can someone get used to watching a lot of disturbing crap that when shown something with a built up reputation of WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK get disappointed at it?

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.