Deadpool Discussion Thread

Home Forums Off Topic Deadpool Discussion Thread

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Mr.K Mr.K 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

With the movie coming out in 5 days, I think it’s a good time to make a discussion of our favorite “Merc with the Mouth”!

This are the questions for the thread:

What was your first encounter with Deadpool?

Best & Worst interpretation of Deadpool?

Favorite moment in any Deadpool comic?

Best & Worst comic of Deadpool?

Any thoughts on the Deadpool fanbase?

Anyone gonna cosplay as Deadpool on the premiere of the film?

Why do you love or hate Deadpool?

Any thoughts on the film (this one is optional and only for those who has seen the movie)

Let’s get this thread on a roll!

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Jakob Morris
    Jakob Morris
    Participant

My thoughts on the film: I thought it was great. I did not expect it to be so funny but I was pleasently suprised. Sure the humor was a bit low brow but it wasnt as lazy as an adam sandler movie.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

My thoughts on the film: I thought it was great. I did not expect it to be so funny but I was pleasently suprised. Sure the humor was a bit low brow but it wasnt as lazy as an adam sandler movie.

Nice, I actually liked it a lot despite some flaws in the narrative and some of the sex jokes.

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

I personally enjoyed the movie, though the jokes could’ve been better. Were all those modern references really necessary with Deadpool? The only ones I actually laughed at were the ones about if he was going to see McAvoy or Stewart and saying that it looks they’ve got the budget for just 2 X-men characters.

Despite that, I enjoyed a lot the movie and Reynolds nailed it with the character,

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

Here’s my thoughts, as I expressed in private to Katie and Max:

I hate hate HATE going to a theater. The audience is annoying and disruptive, and it’s generally uncomfortable.

… HOWEVER, Seeing Deadpool in a packed fucking theater was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Going again this weekend.

The TWO backstory flashbacks kind of made me irritated because you’re in a FANTASTIC Opening sequence, then you flashback to in the present, he then kicks ass (ala CGI trailer), then flashback to the origin story. Flash forward to Colossus arriving and Deadpool trying to fight him. Flash back to continue the origin story. Back to present for the remainder of the movie.

However, what’s important is A) Action, B) Comedy C) Character. Action is great, brutal, violent. The entire audience was laughing at the jokes, even this older woman I had to sit by was cracking up (‘International Women’s Day’ strapon scene). The comedy was, however, a bit heavy on jerking off jokes (the Unicorn). I was sitting with my friend to the right and we were watching DADS bringing 5 year olds to the movie. There were some scenes in the film I was just WAITING to see them getting dragged out from XD never happened though, but I bet there were a ton of questions coming from Little Timmy on the car ride home }:J

Character is a bit …. off? I don’t mean ‘off’ as in Ultimate Spiderman cartoony or video game wacky. Every bit of “wackiness” seems plausible (‘cartoon animals’ scene), but most of the humor is very grounded (‘fighting Colossus’). However, despite this being the Deadpool we adore, there is a very VERY thick love story that, at the end, makes me wonder what Deadpool 2 could even possibly be about tongue emoticon Kinda wrapped up his arch in a neat little bow without as much room for expansion as I’d hoped.

Everyone says “Stay to the end of the film” but I’d say skip it. I’ll just tell you what he does (Ferris Bueller’s Day Off parody). Save yourself 3 minutes unless you want a quick laugh AND a spoiler about the impending SEQUEL.

Despite being a deadpool fan, I’d say it was thoroughly enjoyable, especially in a theater. Yes, I’m advocating watching it in a crowded theater. No fucking joke. No one was talking or shit, just laughing their asses off. Excellent experience from a man who hates theaters.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Oh my! Well, kudos to you @laughingman! I also had an amazing blast with the audience during the Deadpool premiere (sadly, couldn’t cosplay due to the guards staring at me like if I was gonna gut someone in the mall) and it’s one of the best experiences with the crowd when they’re not being obnoxious shitbags texting on the phone or talking out loud like idiots and even the little kids had fun with their parents WITHOUT a single complaint or asking any question on what was happening on the screen (kids huh?). Although, do avoid Batman V Superman or Civil War when it premieres cause the fanboy wars are gonna be huge (in a bad way).

In terms of the narrative and character, it was very at point the whole time and I loved the interaction with the 2 X-Men in the film despite not being the whole MARVEL Universe (too bad Disney have them now…) and the interpretation of Deadpool was as faithful to the comics with some moments that did felt off at points like the flashback scenes despite actually liking the flashbacks far more than I anticipated despite it’s jarring editing transitions from the action set piece to the next. I do wish the film would have explored more in the relationship with Wade and Vanessa but what they had was good enough for me and for the sequel, I hope Vanessa does get some kind of bigger role with Deadpool and possibly go deeper into the tragic side of the character.

Humor was also damn funny with the sex jokes being the only “meh” part of the film. My favorite has to be the one with Wade and Blind AL after he gets his hand sawed up to be very small with the blind woman replying “Is it me or is your hand very small?”. I laugh so hard, I almost couldn’t breathe after that scene. Plus, Deadpool spoiling 127 Hours was great. We need an Extended Cut to see more jokes that couldn’t make it through the R-rating.

The first credits scene was funny while the very last one is boring as hell. Although, I give kudos to Deadpool on one thing: They manage to bring The Helicarrier from The Avengers without permission from Disney into this movie. Those are some ballsy moves to make against MARVEL and Disney since Helicarrier toys sell like cupcakes in their stores and I just can’t imagine how would Bob Iger react when he sees Deadpool.

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

@laughingman, @Mr.K Well, I’m glad you 2 enjoyed the screening. Though I had a wail of a time in the movie, there were 2 cunts; 2 fucking cunts who took out the fucking cellphone every 5 fucking minutes. If it had not been for Deadpool being the film I was watching; I would’ve stood up, take both cellphones, break them and falcon-punch the remains.

And that post-credits scene, I wonder what actor are they gonna get for *****.

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

@laughingman, @Mr.K Well, I’m glad you 2 enjoyed the screening. Though I had a wail of a time in the movie, there were 2 cunts; 2 fucking cunts who took out the fucking cellphone every 5 fucking minutes. If it had not been for Deadpool being the film I was watching; I would’ve stood up, take both cellphones, break them and falcon-punch the remains.

And that post-credits scene, I wonder what actor are they gonna get for *****.

What fucking cunts. I would have breaked their phones and shove them in their throats.

As for the actor who might play ***** (you can spoil it anyway since it was confirmed a long while before it came out), they might get Stephen Lang to play the part.

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

I didn’t dress-up (LadyPool?) but I did wear my Deadpool t-shirt!

I really liked the film, it was better than I was expecting. Liked the humor and the fact that the story was simple but effective for the characters.

I liked Wade and Vanessa in general. Some thought the romance was unnecessary/tacked-on but I think it showed a softer side to the Wade Wilson’s character and they just…clicked I guess. Fun, free, and a fuck-ton of holiday sex full of love. Old meme but STILL A BETTER ROMANCE THAN THOR!

I have a small theater in the little boondock town I live in. There wasn’t a whole lot of people but I think the audience did not understand some of the older pop culture references (which had me rolling while they were dead quiet) and the teenage dudes got all excited about the titty-bar. Loudly.

*movie cuts to strip-club*

Horny boys: YEAH!!! THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT!!!

Me: Y’all don’t have the Internet?

The same guys kept talking about the jokes which got kind of annoying. Did I mention the theater was sticky and dirty? Well, I guess with all the masturbation jokes…

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

TJ Miller was great as Weasel too.

As for the actor who might play ***** (you can spoil it anyway since it was confirmed a long while before it came out), they might get Stephen Lang to play the part.

OMG Mr. K! I said the exact same thing after the credits! I also thought he could be Deathstroke/Slade Wilson if he was in a DC movie.

With the success of this film, some think that studios are going to ride the “R-rated violent superhero” thing now (Suicide Squad, anyone?)

Kevin Smith called for an R-rated Batman film. I think they are going to do an animated version of “The Killing Joke”?

Anyways, on to Captain America: Civil War (the only other comic book movie I give a crap about this year).

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

@kahunadrake

Ha! Looks like we both want Lang for Cable!

Yep, Kiiling Joke is gonna be rated R but I don’t have high hopes for the adatation since the recent DC Animated Films have been very mediocre so far.

In terms of R-rated bandwagon superhero films, Wolverine III will be R rated for 2017 and WB will release an R-rated cut of BVS since the news was announced 3 months ago when Snyder announced plans for a potential Extended Director’s Cut Blu-Ray release since he did film 4 hours of footage. Suicide Squad hasn’t been given any changes for an R rating but it could get an Extended Cut for Blu-Ray (maybe).

I’m not too keen on Civil War cause the comic was absolute garbage. Ugh, just saying the name makes me uncomfortable.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.