Death Note 2017 director goes full Uwe Boll on Twitter

Home Forums Off Topic Death Note 2017 director goes full Uwe Boll on Twitter

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Jake_L Jake_L 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    shenyongo
    shenyongo
    Participant

So Netflix’s new adaptation of Death Note is out…. and it has been received abysmally.
    http://www.refinery29.com/2017/08/169836/death-note-twitter-reactions
    http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/08/27/death-note-live-action-netflix-reactions/

Basically the main consensus is that even if you ignore all the changes made (which have reportedly been made for the worse) and the fact that it essentially dumbs down the source material, it’s still a terrible movie on its own, from its jarring tonal issues, the blatantly rushed pace, a generally terrible script, to what apparently constituted as “acting” in the director’s eyes.

So how has director Adam Wingard dealt the criticism? Simple, instead of acknowledging that he made mistakes with the movie, he just dismisses everyone who doesn’t like his movie as trolls and whiny anime fanboys, all the while only retweeting the tweets that praise his movie.

https://twitter.com/AdamWingard/status/901615208216399872

Now I would understand if there were just a few trolls being mean to him (which in that case that would be him blowing something way out of proportion still) but the fact that he doesn’t bother to try to make a distinction and surround himself only with tweets praising his “masterpiece” just comes across as just flat out narcissistic. And not only does he continue this charade but his overzealous followers have been eating his bullshit up and joining in on his charade of grouping people with legitimate criticisms of the movie with trolls or whiny fanboys.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIWhaGkUQAEJaOm.jpg:large
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIWhb7nUMAEQfS_.jpg:large
    All the while trying to come up with piss poor excuses to deflect all the criticsm such as “oh Adam Wingard made the Death Note remake for himself, not the audience”. Not making that up, someone actually said that and Adam of course retweeted it to inflate his own little ego.

Mr. K, who was previously a fan of his work, actually tried to reason with the guy on why he should listen to criticism, however once it was clear that the director and his followers were stuck in their own little echo chamber he gave up on trying to reason with them.

I’m not sure if I am doing the best I can to report on this (it’s really best that you see his passive aggressive echo chamber on twitter for yourselves), but it always urks me whenever these type of directors try to deflect any criticisms of their movies and instead blames it on trolls or fanboys. It’s the exact same thing the director of the awful Nightmare on Elm Street remake tried to do to save his own ass (which of course failed) and it’s exactly the same charade Paul Fieg tried to pull with his reboot of Ghostbusters. It’s like SERIOUSLY, we’ve had the Internet and social media sites for over a decade now and these people are still not able to grasp that maybe, just maybe, the customer is right. All Adam Wingard is doing by dismissing all his critics as trolls is pushing everyone away from promoting discussion on the movie wi

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Hey, at least you gave a topic worthy of discussion for CCS to talk about and thanks for sticking out for me during the mosh-pit.

Speaking of which, I never was a fan of Wingard (I only used to liked his films a few years ago) but after his insulting adaptations regarding Blair Witch & Death Note, I realized Wingard is not a very good filmmaker. His films constantly try to be cool edgy 80’s nostalgic fest films with little substance or subversion while he clumsy handles the story or characters like an after-thought while making the gore look ridiculous for a forced reaction from the audience. You can tell Wingard not only gave no shits when it comes to faithfully adapting Death Note but completely MISSES the POINTof Death Note as a premise or idea. It’s not about how gory the kills are or Light killing people cause “no one understands his feelings” trope but about how a person could utilize absolute power (in case the Death Note) to fulfill their goals? Would it be a mission to become God of a New World by setting an example to everyone on just how omnipotent he/she can be, will you use it for personal vendettas against those who wronged you or use it for pranks or mischief unaware of the consequences it could bring to the owner, friends or family around him/her? It’s a great idea to adapt from a source material that is possible to adapt yet Wingard takes the easy way out by contradicting the characters, motivations and personality traits into a clusterfuck of plot points leading up to a sequel bait ending that really doesn’t earn it’s right to lead up to a sequel.

Say what you want about Zack Snyder as everyone else does but despite my problems with him, I support his works cause not only does he makes sure he puts love, sweat & passion into his films but each one can stand on their own while introducing stories & characters you find memorable while also being such a bast to re-watch it alone or with friends. Even when he fucks-up, you can tell he’ll listen to criticism and better himself as a filmmaker unlike Wingard who’s disregarding criticism as if an attack on his livelihood and labels everyone as “weaboos” cause in his eyes, they hate his movie because it’s not “100% accurate” to the source material which isn’t the main issue of his film adaptation while Snyder, again, stays close to his social media, discusses with it’s fans and shares any updates to keep the attention on not only his works but for his audience genuinely interested in supporting his works.

In other words, Adam Wingard is a terrible filmmaker who can’t get his head off his blind 80’s nostalgic hole, insults is own audience if he doesn’t agree with his views or the positive attention his films get and much like all hack filmmakers like Tyler Perry, Matt Reeves or John Moore, they still get away with it cause they’re the big shots in Hollywood now with these types of filmmakers getting board to make big or small projects that are suite for other better filmmakers than the ones I mentioned (this is the guy set to direct Godzilla VS King Kong and considering Skull Island was one of the most boring films of this year, I’m disappointed at this news).

Basically, Winged is officially the Hollywood equivalent of Zoey Quinn: A filmmaker who makes tons of money by making fast food products for gullible consumers and if you disagree with his views, he’ll call you a troll or block you for eternity.

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

shenyongo
    shenyongo
    Participant

You can tell Wingard not only gave no shits when it comes to faithfully adapting Death Note but completely MISSES the POINTof Death Note as a premise or idea. It’s not about how gory the kills are or Light killing people cause “no one understands his feelings” trope but about how a person could utilize absolute power (in case the Death Note) to fulfill their goals? Would it be a mission to become God of a New World by setting an example to everyone on just how omnipotent he/she can be, will you use it for personal vendettas against those who wronged you or use it for pranks or mischief unaware of the consequences it could bring to the owner, friends or family around him/her? It’s a great idea to adapt from a source material that is possible to adapt yet Wingard takes the easy way out by contradicting the characters, motivations and personality traits into a clusterfuck of plot points leading up to a sequel bait ending that really doesn’t earn it’s right to lead up to a sequel.

Exactly. Death Note really should’ve been a David Fincher movie considering that the source material really has more in common with a David Fincher thriller than it does with a Final Destination movie. Heck, YouTuber RebelTaxi even once brought up an idea of having Death Note adapted as an anthology series with different individuals getting a Death Note in each episode, that would’ve been a good way to expand upon the themes of the source material.

this is the guy set to direct Godzilla VS King Kong and considering Skull Island was one of the most boring films of this year, I’m disappointed at this news.

Not to mention Adam Wingard is also set to direct an American remake of Kim Jee-woon’s I Saw the Devil….. oh boy……
    ……
    …..
    …..
    …..
    …..
    …..
    …..

shenyongo
    shenyongo
    Participant

Great 2 hour discussion on what was wrong with Adam Wingard’s “adaptation” of Death Note from YMS and Chaceface

shenyongo
    shenyongo
    Participant

Well it appears that Adam Wingard has now deleted his own twitter account.
    https://moviepilot.com/p/death-note-director-deletes-twitter-after-feud/4367189

I guess that means that his little charade of calling fans trolls has come to an end (on social media that is…………………………………….)

Jake_L
    Jake_L
    Participant

So when’s Wingard gonna box his big-name critics?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.