Do you think the Hollywood Ghost in the Shell movie will make money?

Home Forums Off Topic Do you think the Hollywood Ghost in the Shell movie will make money?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by shenyongo shenyongo 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    shenyongo
    shenyongo
    Participant

Considering that we are a week away from the Hollywood adaptation of Ghost in the Shell, this is something I have been pondering: will Ghost in the Shell do well at the box office.
    I am wondering about this because if anyone hasn’t already noticed this March has been pretty crowded when it comes to blockbusters, with a new blockbuster almost every weekend. Beauty and the Beast broughy in $174 million at domestic box office last weekend, and Power Rangers came out today. Though blockbusters tend to have a drop of at least 50% in the 2nd weekend and onward. Also, Power Rangers is expected to only open with $30-35 million so it might not be serious competition for Ghost in the Shell. Not mention the movies releasing with Ghost in the Shell, Boss Baby and The Zookeeper’s wife (another pointless WWII movie) have been mauled by critics so I don’t expect those to pose serious competition.
    On the other hand though, the press has been doing their best to paint the image that this movie is supposedly “getting nothing but controversy and mockery”, praising the “compelling” PSA criticizing the movie for instance.. Of course while it obviously could be the press blowing things out of proportion, this still has me worried.

However, from what I have heard about the early Japanese Premiere (March 16th), the movie recieved a positive reaction from the audience (which consisted of fans of the manga and/or the 1995 movie), so perhaps it will be able to find an audience.
    Not to mention there is a particular twist that I think will strengthen the plot, which might not turn out to be generic after all.
    What do y’all think? Will the movie find an audience and make way for an era of anime adaptations and cyberpunk movies? Or will people flock to Beauty and the Beast 2017 just to see the same shit they saw over 20 years ago but with little gimmicks sprinkled on?

shenyongo
    shenyongo
    Participant

Also from what I have been seeing from the comments of people who have pirated the movie, most of them see to have really enjoyed the film.

shenyongo
    shenyongo
    Participant

http://movieweb.com/ghost-in-shell-movie-2017-box-office-predictions/
    According to MovieWeb, they think Ghost in the Shell will debut with only around $16 million, while Boss Baby will debut with around $20 million…..

Ok, I am starting to get really nervous about this right now.

shenyongo
    shenyongo
    Participant

Well it appears the movie is bombing in the US…. Opening with only $18.6 million while Boss Baby is #1 with $50+ million…..
    Well bad news…. It appears the movie had a weak domestic opening…
    ‘Boss Baby’ Bullies ‘Beast’ With $50M+ Opening; ‘Ghost’ Shell-Shocked With Low $18.6M
    Also more and more journalists are trying to keep the “whitewashing controversy” gong in response to the twist ending.

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

I’m pretty disappointed by this so far, but an opening boxoffice weekend may or may not be an issue in the long run. I’m thinking of the original Bladerunner movie, and how poorly it did, but how it created a cult following.

But I still have to see the movie.

shenyongo
    shenyongo
    Participant

I’m pretty disappointed by this so far, but an opening boxoffice weekend may or may not be an issue in the long run. I’m thinking of the original Bladerunner movie, and how poorly it did, but how it created a cult following.

But I still have to see the movie.

According to Deadline, the movie is expected to lose $60 million.
    ‘Ghost In The Shell’ Will Lose $60 Million-Plus: Here’s Why

Wasn’t a ‘recognizable pretty face’ supposed to sell a movie? At this point I am really questioning Hollywood’s own competence.
    This also makes me wonder if it will be Netflix’s Death Note adaptation that will pave a way for successful anime adaptations, considering that it seems like TV (NETFLIX, HBO, Amazon Prime streaming) has been slowly usurping Hollyowood. Not to mention Death Note having a medium budget of $40-50 million rather than a bloated $100+ million budget.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.