Ducktales reboot

Home Forums Off Topic Ducktales reboot

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by LaughingMan LaughingMan 4 days, 16 hours ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MachinizerXS
    MachinizerXS
    Participant

So the first two episodes are up on Disney XD’s youtube channel and I just checked them out. I admit wearing my nostalgia goggles I was a bit skeptical especially after New PPGs and shows like TTG I was a bit worried that the Ducktales reboot would go the same route but I was wrong and I’m pleasantly happy to say that it’s a great show and is extremely faithful to even the original show. The new style of humor as well as personalities coming from the nephews and webey still takes a bit of getting used too as they seem to be the characters that come off as the most different compared to how they were in the old series but in the end I don’t think they were portrayed badly. Especially not as bad as I thought they would have been.

shenyongo
    shenyongo
    Participant

I saw the 2nd episode recently and I thought it was pretty good as well. I think Disney’s television animation has been of consistent quality for the most part, with Gravity Falls, Wonder over Yonder, Star vs The Forces of Evil, and this new Ducktales reboot looks to be continuing this trend.
    As for the PPG reboot and TTG…. I think it’s very fair to say that Disney probably invests more money + care into the Ducktales reboot than CN has been with their content as of recently.
    Heck, Disney had the Ducktales premiere rerun a fulk 24 hours in order to boost ratings and interest for Ducktales, while CN decided to “celebrate” OK K.O.’s premiere by having TTG hog up all the attention.

MachinizerXS
    MachinizerXS
    Participant

That’s true, and honestly I would like to see Ducktales succeed as that could mean stuff like Rescue Rangers and Talespin could also resurface as well.

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

I’m conflicted by the Ducktales reboot. On one hand, I like art style, and the bit of extra character depth regarding Scrooge dusting off his spats and top-hat to get back in the game.

However, the following has me annoyed beyond reason:

– Webby went from sweet-as-candy damsel in distress (urgh…) to a hyperactive spaz the girl from Gravity Falls (URGH!!!)

– So many of the jokes fell flat (ex: end of the two-part episode where Glomgold gets attacked by a giant squid was a completely lame Family Guy-esque joke)

– So much of the wit and pacing of the 1990s Ducktales is missing. Remember when the problem was usually resolved with a witty, capitalistic, mutually-beneficial compromise that made the ‘villains’ happy and made Scrooge even richer (Druid episode, Pearl of Wisdom episode)? Remember those creepy, atmospheric walks down candlelit hallways or through midnight woods to confront a danger?

– The minute cartoon characters do FLIPS in the air, I’m reminded of my “style > substance” analogy: If something (usually food items like breakfast cereal, or, most memorably, fish-sticks) features a skateboarding character wearing sunglasses on the cover, it’s probably going to be a shitty product. “Poochie” from the Simpsons is a perfect example.

Anybody ever read the Scrooge McDuck Adventure comics? Kinda feels like a massive departure from the comics in a “Bubba CaveDuck” and “Gizmoduck” annoying way.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.