Fant4stic, does it flop? It fantastically flops!

Home Forums Off Topic Fant4stic, does it flop? It fantastically flops!

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Shinra Kuroki Shinra Kuroki 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

Good grief, there’s just no way to make a good Fantastic Four movie. The 2005 movie was a bomb, focusing more on a superhero’s fashion and private life instead of, you know, doing heroic things. The sequel wasn’t as bad since we get to see a bit more action but it falls boring and flat. And a new film has come out, a gritty reboot which was anticipated to bring back the “hero” factor to our tetra-wonders, but is it any better? Not on this life.

My first issues are the changes to the characters. Yes, I am aware this is an adaptation and there’s gonna be changes, BUT THEY HAVE TO BE CHANGES THAT MAKE SENSE. First of, the black human torch. Now, let me state, this issue isn’t a racial matter, but a character matter. Johnny Storm is the biological brother of Sue Storm, why change that? It just pisses people off (and being honest, there were a whole better casting actors for Johnny Storm), then there’s the young Reed Richards. Did these guy read the comics or something? First thing that pops up when someone says Reed Richards: Grey sidelines, father and brilliant. Qualities that the new Richards lacks. (Being super smart at birth may be convincing in a comedy like The Big Bang Theory, but not in a serious movie). And the thing… Without the iconic blue pants, it just looks like a living KFC chicken piece.

Now, for the benefit of the movie, I won’t have in mind the changes to the characters in the movie to decide if it’s bad. It’d be worse. The designs and sluggish, bland and unappealing; the writing is sloppy and generic, the pace of the movie is god awful and the worst thing in my opinion: the actors don’t represent any of the characters. There’s no chemistry, there’s very little bonding and character development, it doesn’t look like the fantastic 4, it looks like 3 guys and a walking KFC drumstick. There’s nothing that spells “Fantastic 4” at all.

If you want to see a good Fantastic 4 movie, good look because it looks like there’s none. The least worse I can recommend is Rise of the Silver Surfer. Don’t take my word for it. According to Rotten Tomatoes, here’s how good (or in this case, bad) each movie is:

-Fantastic Four (2005): 27%
    -Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer: 37%
    -Fant4stic: 12%

My recommendation is get away as far as possible from this movie, but watch it at your own risk.

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

hen there’s the young Reed Richards. Did these guy read the comics or something? First thing that pops up when someone says Reed Richards: Grey sidelines, father and brilliant. Qualities that the new Richards lacks. (Being super smart at birth may be convincing in a comedy like The Big Bang Theory, but not in a serious movie).

I just noticed here I’ve made a mistake. By some rumor I’ve heard, the Reed Richards of the movie is based on The Ultimates Reed Richards. My mistake, but that doesn’t excuse a walking KFC 5 piece meal and a black human torch.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Not surprised considering FOX had too much control in the reboot while having absolutely no faith in Josh Trank (the reshoots and relationship with Trank and FOX are proof of that) and that Doom wasn’t even supposed to be in the film, it was goddamn Mole-Man.

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Nat
    Nat
    Participant

My problem with the movie is that it tried to be a gritty and more “realistic” reboot of a franchise that isn’t really that gritty and doesn’t take itself too seriously. The whole “Gritty reboot” thing may work with Batman, but the Fantastic 4 really is more of an ensemble piece, and the franchise really focuses on the relationships and bond within the group, and so it really is a more light-hearted tale. If they took this more in the vein of The Avengers, then I think it would have done a lot better.

I mean, there’s a whole lot more that’s wrong with the movie than that, but that was my main gripe with the movie. They’re the Fantastic Four, but they had no chemistry or meaningful relationships with one another, and it really felt more like they were all complete strangers that had been lumped together than a group of friends that all went through a life changing accident that left them changed in some way or another. I really wish they’d have focused on making the movie fun and interesting like other ensemble superhero films (like the aforementioned Avengers, or even The Incredibles) instead of another boring “gritty” action movie reboot.

There’s my two cents thrown into the pile 😛

- There was a signature here... it's gone now...

Nat
    Nat
    Participant

Also, just to add to what Mr. K said, I present to you this tweet:

Attachments:

- There was a signature here... it's gone now...

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Probably would have been better if they stuck to the original storyline from the comics: 4 friends who have their whole existence altered by an accident and now have to deal with their changes and use them for good. Seems sweet and simple to me.

Good grief, there’s just no way to make a good Fantastic Four movie

Ironically, Red Letter Media ranked the German Fantastic Four 1993 film better than the 2000’s films. Their justification was although the effects are cheesy/outdated and was solely created by a company to keep the rights to the IP, the filmmakers and actors put a lot of heart into the project even though it would not be released to the public.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Probably would have been better if they stuck to the original storyline from the comics: 4 friends who have their whole existence altered by an accident and now have to deal with their changes and use them for good. Seems sweet and simple to me.

Good grief, there’s just no way to make a good Fantastic Four movie

Ironically, Red Letter Media ranked the German Fantastic Four 1993 film better than the 2000’s films. Their justification was although the effects are cheesy/outdated and was solely created by a company to keep the rights to the IP, the filmmakers and actors put a lot of heart into the project even though it would not be released to the public.

You mean the infamous Roger Corman adaptation of Fantastic 4? I remember watching the trailer for it and it was downright hilarious. Yet, it is far better than the reboot.

Dukect
    Dukect
    Participant

I honestly think you can make a good Fantastic 4 movie but you need people who not only know the source material well but also give a damn

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Also, just to add to what Mr. K said, I present to you this tweet:

I rest my case *drops mic*. Seriously though, I hate it when executives has to bother directors and writers for meaningless shit and thus, having their projects screwed over by bullshit decisions after bullshit decisions when the final product is released. Worst, the majority of the reviewers are completely ignorant to the obvious “corporate changes” when a certain film gets butchered to death. Kingdom of Heaven, Thief and the Cobbler, Strange Magic and so forth are all obvious victims to development hell histories and often changes to appeal to certain demographics, which fail miserably on paper and execution, yet reviewers and critics either review the film with no idea what they’re talking about or my favorite, “jumping on the hate wagon and point fingers to blame someone” club (AKA The worst of the bunch).

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

I honestly think you can make a good Fantastic 4 movie but you need people who not only know the source material well but also give a damn

Of course, I did have faith in Simon Kinberg and Josh Trank cause they did have a cool idea for a Fantastic 4 film and plus, they knew all about the source material but sadly, FOX executives ordered some shitty reshoots and alas, the film falls flat on it’s ass. Hell, the Mole Man was supposed to be the villain of the reboot, not Doom (Doom was to appear as an end credits scene that leads up to Doom creating Lavteria and Fantastic Four 2).

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

It keeps getting better!

http://www.movieweb.com/fantastic-four-movie-2015-behind-scenes-trouble-director/

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

Only a bad director blames his team for his own failures. Granted, there could be the chance the movie might have been “ruined” by an exterior influence of the studio, but this “My movies are pure genius, and it’s the others that are bringing them down” comment reminds of a certain Sauerkraut who’s dedicated his life to making the worst movies in existence, calling them true masterpieces and blaming the fan community of the original source material for the horrible quality his movies have. (If you haven’t guessed yet, I’m comparing Trank with Uwe Boll)

Trank may be a good director, but what kind of director lets his ego run his mouth? It creates a very bad image of him, and it’s these kind of things that make movie directors getting rejected by studios.

Either you accept you failed with your movie and learn from your mistakes or blame others and fall in the same pitfall again, your decision, Trank.

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

I don’t read comic books (probably will start to as soon as I find the money to do so), but I know a lot of comic book lore from friends, wiki, TV shows, movies, internet video series, video games, and other sources. As an outsider, I really don’t know what makes the Fantastic Four a good team or remotely interesting. X-men deal with the whole powers that come with deformities that The Thing deals with. Also, it seems Doctor Doom has out grown the Fantastic Four in other forms of media, making him seem too weak or stupid in the movies. Doctor Doom seems to be far too under handed to ever show up in a first movie, he seems to be more of a guy behind the curtains to me. Also the whole 4 v 1 does seem to be all that interesting. I don’t see how their powers make for a good team battle either.

I just really wonder what a good Fantastic Four movie would even look like? What problems, besides the big bad needing to be stopped, do they have? What villain do they have in their rouges gallery that would be good for an origin story?

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.