First look at the Ghost In The Shell movie

Home Forums Off Topic First look at the Ghost In The Shell movie

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Mr.K Mr.K 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Dreamworks has unveiled the image for the development hell GITS project.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-04-14/live-action-ghost-in-the-shell-film-posts-1st-photo-of-scarlett-johansson-as-the-major/.101051

Attachments:

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Ninety-Three
    Ninety-Three
    Participant

Hmm. Wow. Scarlett does looks good, but that’s not the Major. I don’t know, still have to process it.

This movie would probably feature far less philosophical dialogue about the consequences and dangers of cyborg technology, the digitization of our world, the disconnection of virtual reality and the depth and breath of the human soul and just focus on being a crassy, popcorn Hollywood blockbuster movie. I mean come on, it’s being directed by Rupert Sanders, the guy who directed Snow White and the Huntsman for crying out loud! But what do I know?

Thanks Mr. K!

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Hey, this was one of the first topics I posted on the forums.

Now, they’re finally moving forward with this project huh? LaughingMan, CineMax, and Katie had a few things to say about this but I wonder what they will think now that a director has been named (we were thinking Christopher Nolan would do it justice) and we can see ScarJo as the Major.

Personally, I’m more concerned about the choice in director (The Huntsman was sooo boring/trite) but we will see. Hopefully, the movie will not warrant LaughingMan going on a nude weedwhacker killing spree and CineMax renouncing humanity.

This is not the only GITS project in production though. Studio FOW, a video-game hentai studio, is looking for female voice actors to play the Major in their latest smut-shorts. All you have to do is sound tough and authoritarian and give them your best fake orgasm. LOL I’m not kidding look up their Tumblr.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Obvious whitewashing controversy! All aboard the bitchy train!!

First Look at Scarlett Johansson in ‘Ghost in the Shell: Whitewash Edition’

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

Not bitching about white-washing, but:
    #NotMyMajor

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Not bitching about white-washing, but:
    #NotMyMajor

I know, I just like watching the Internet lose their minds with Goldfish in my hand.

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

I don’t care she’s white. The plot is what matters & that Americanization is just the cost of business. I don’t think the entire movie’s quality rides on the race of the person who plays the Major. It can still be good or bad on it’s own merits. Like all media that isn’t out yet, I’m just going to wait for it to come out & for people to critique it in it’s entirety & without speculation.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

I don’t care she’s white. The plot is what matters & that Americanization is just the cost of business. I don’t think the entire movie’s quality rides on the race of the person who plays the Major. It can still be good or bad on it’s own merits. Like all media that isn’t out yet, I’m just going to wait for it to come out & for people to critique it in it’s entirety & without speculation.

Attachments:

Jakob Morris
    Jakob Morris
    Participant

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Max Landis on the GITS film and the film industry as a whole.

I’ll keep this thread updated with more info as much as possible.

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

Damn, you beat me to the Max Landis video 😀

But I think he’s 100% right: The only way for this movie to even be made is solely on Star-Power, and unfortunately there’s not a lot of Asian actresses who could be enough of a headliner that it would get asses in seats (ie: give the production companies some level of monetary security). It’s also why something like Gods of Egypt has Gerald Butler and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, because if I honestly asked you “Name your favorite 2 actors of Egyption decent” you’d likely scratch your head or run to Google.

I’m not saying there’s probably some Asian actresses who could have pulled off The Major, but that for a niche movie like this, they need the star-power draw.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Damn, you beat me to the Max Landis video 😀

Thanks! I follow Max Landis on Twitter everywhere to get the goods on him and sadly, a lot of media outlets are re-writing his reasons and facts on their articles including The Wrapand Indiewire & like most parasites re-writing the writer’s thoughts, people jump in and start shitting on Landis to look good on public (Max Landis and Zack Snyder are literal punching bags in the film industry and I am pissed people do this shit all the time).

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

But I think he’s 100% right: The only way for this movie to even be made is solely on Star-Power, and unfortunately there’s not a lot of Asian actresses who could be enough of a headliner that it would get asses in seats (ie: give the production companies some level of monetary security). It’s also why something like Gods of Egypt has Gerald Butler and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, because if I honestly asked you “Name your favorite 2 actors of Egyption decent” you’d likely scratch your head or run to Google.

I’m not saying there’s probably some Asian actresses who could have pulled off The Major, but that for a niche movie like this, they need the star-power draw.

Here’s the thing though: There are plenty of talented actors, actresses, directors and writers from different places all over the world with their own unique styles or skills that separate from the rest. The problem is Hollywood and like most assholes is the harsh truth about diversity: They don’t want diversity in the industry.”

Why would Hollywood want to work with the Japanese film industry when they have such stigmas against them like the way they depict fictional heroines in games & films or how the West freak out and call out sexism on the “ME ME ME” OVAwhen it had nothing to do with sexism but it’s a representation of the dangers of the hikkikomori lifestyle. Why would Hollywood ever want to work with directors like Marjane Satrapi or Michael Haneke if the executives only see dollar signs to cash in on the diversity bandwagon and just go “Here’s a woman from Iran and some guy from Europe to make a big budget Mulan film cause we care for diversity” speech instead of hiring new talent for their talents. It’s just the West and Hollywood are so misinformed about other cultures, they come off as desperate and disrespectful for the way they could end up treating other people for their skins or background birthplace to “not look bad in public”. If they want diversity, hire people from other places and learn what they did throughout their careers in order for Hollywood to allow more talent from other countries into the industry. Sadly, they want to go with the SJW’s logic of “if we bring random people from different cultures while not learning anything about said culture in the West, our society will be diverse and thus, the people will love us!” approach ( South Park Season 19 reference anyone?)

As for the GITS film, it’s gonna be bad. The film was in development hell for 9 years with Steven Speilberg wanting to make a GITS film as it was his passion project from the start and circumstances prevented Spielberg from ever directing GITS and thus, getting replaced by a crew with no knowledge of the franchise? We have Rupert Sanders, a Zack Snyder rip-off and a dipshit cheating prick who made Snow White and the Hunstman (AKA: Look how empowered Snow White is! The Movie) to direct one of the most complex stories ever told in animation and the writer of Straight Outta Compton writing the film from a dead script he re-wrote a few weeks? I’m sorry but I don’t think these guys can handle a GITS film. If would have made far more sense if Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder both directed the GITS film with Snyder handling the visuals and action set-pieces while Nolan can handle the complex story and themes of GITS with Christopher Nolan and Charlie Kufman writing the script together. Now that would sell the fucking deal. Also, how much you wanna bet there gonna tone down the philosophical and technological themes of GITS in this film just because the audiences are “too stupid to get”? They almost did it with the now dead Akira project with the changes of making the friends bartenders and having a throw away love interest in the climax. As for Scarlett Johansson as The Mayor, it looks like the Arise version of the character (notice the dark blue hair Scarlett dyed for the film… Could it be an adaptation that mixes other GITS adaptations including Arise?) and she looks the part but I wonder how will she pull it off considering Major Kusanagi is one of the most revered characters in anime,

Speaking of GITS, a review of Anime Abandon on Speed Racer came up and found something interesting about the film: It was suppose to show the potential of an anime-film adaptation and it made me ask the question:

Could GITS be good enough to give anime-film adaptations another chance in Hollywood if we can get it right?

What you guys think?

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Another video regarding of Max Landis explaining the whole “whitewashing” nonsense the second time cause Twitter are full of idiots hating on Max Landis like they always love to do:

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Here’s Gigguk’s thoughts on the controversy of GITS:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.