Hopes for the upcoming Justice League movie…

Home Forums Off Topic Hopes for the upcoming Justice League movie…

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by VelcroRaptor VelcroRaptor 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

I really want it to be as good as this show was…

I want DC to give Marvel a run for its money but I have no idea how the Man of Steel storyline is going to set the stage for the Justice League to be introduced.

What do you think, guys? Are my standards too high?

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

CineMax
    CineMax
    Participant

“What do you think, guys? Are my standards too high?”

The cynic in me wants to say yes.

Although, I have to admit: I do have some mild curiosity in the upcoming Batman Vs. Superman film. MOSTLY ‘cos, from what I’ve heard, Zack Snyder and Co. seem to have decided to incorporate the real world negative perception of Superman that the viewers had into the storyline of the sequel.

For example, there was that one set photo of what looks like a giant statue being bulit in Superman’s honor, surrounded by a group of protestors with placards. Which I assume DIDN’T read: “We <3 Superman!” And if that is indeed the case, this is a scene I’ve wanted to see in a serious Superman movie for as long as I can remember. And if Lex Luthor’s rise to notoriety is based on his anti-Superman platform — well, in that case I would have to give Zack Snyder some props for understanding how to make a Superman film interesting without resorting to wanton destruction of an entire city a-la the Man of Steel finale.

One thing I remember myself discussing with LaughingMan (which could tie into the kind of direction DC chooses for its future movies) is that it would be interesting if one of the reasons why the Justice League is formed in the new movie universe is to kind of keep a closer eye on Superman. We already know that in this universe Superman doesn’t seem to hesitate to use his powers for his own selfish needs (Clark Kent wrecking that one redneck asshole’s car in the first movie, anyone?) + he has a MASSIVE messiah complex (“You will lead them into the Sun, Kal-El!”) So, it’d be interesting if, unline the comics, Superman isn’t the moral compass that all the rest of superheroes look up to. What if it’s the opposite? What if Superman learns from everyone else?

E.g., Superman didn’t hesitate resorting to murder to stop Zod from killing… one small family at the end of Man of Steel. (Hoo boy, that movie…) Anyway. Meanwhile, Batman has a strong moral code AGAINST killing, even though, chances are, he’s been tempted more than once to take down the Joker permanently — especially considering that in this universe Jason Todd has already been murdered by the Joker. Hence, perhaps Superman learns some restraint from his colleague. Perhaps Wonder Woman, being an ambassador of an entire nation, can teach Superman a lesson in diplomacy. I.e., “No more trashing goverment satilities just to show them who’s boss. You need to earn their trust, Kal-El.”

DC seems to be hellbent on doing the opposite of what Marvel is doing right now and instead go down the dark and gritty road. Well, if that’s truly the case, then how about you address the gravity of everything that happened in the Man of Steel movie in all of the subsequent films.

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Very interesting, indeed.

Well, if that is the direction they decide to go, this could be an interesting interpretation of the DC universe.
    I don’t mind Superman being more “edgy” in that case. I really didn’t mind Man of Steel, probably because I am not that big of a Superman fan and I feel that he is portrayed as too perfect sometimes. Kind of like a Gary Stu.

Dark and gritty…I wouldn’t mind just as long as they don’t go overboard with it and make it cheesy.

I guess we will have to wait and see what comes our way.

In regards to storytelling and character development, I wish they would take cues from the DCAU.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

VelcroRaptor
    VelcroRaptor
    Participant

Kahuna, it’s funny that you call Superman a “Gary Stu”, because in essence, that’s what he was intended to be. Think about it: when he was first introduced to readers, he was supposed to be the all-powerful man who could do no wrong, ever. Average person with a heart of gold in the office, god-like figure who everyone loved in the field. Sure, as time went by and the writers needed more plot ideas, his character grew and he was given flaws as well, but in the beginning, he was an invincible powerhouse Gary Stu.

I like Cinemax’s idea of Superman having to learn ethics and morality from other members of society or heroes, such as Batman or Wonder Woman. It reminds me a bit of Superboy in Young Justice, in the sense that he has to rely on others for what’s socially acceptable and what isn’t. They could easily take that concept and run with it. DC is no stranger to making dark movies, as you can see with several of their animated films throughout the past years: a fine example would be The Dark Knight Returns, where it explores how Batman/Bruce Wayne’s moral code against killing can have harmful side effects, such as Jason Todd’s “death” and return. Another aspect worthy of mention is how Superman, even after acknowledging how Batman’s tactics kept Gotham from falling into entire chaos after the city’s power was blocked from the deflected Soviet nuke, went with the President’s order to put Batman down. DC has explored Superman’s role as “the moral compass”, as Cinemax said, and has already shown us in that movie along with Young Justice that he isn’t the perfect do-gooder as he was once depicted. As I said before, DC isn’t new to the darker aspects of life and their characters, but they’ve only ever done it in comic books or special animated features. It would be nice to see them do so in a live action movie.

What I’m hoping for them to bring back from the glory days of The Justice League: Unlimited is their diversity: diversity in types of crises, diversity in types of characters, and diversity in types of character relations. Their animated films have done an okay job at this, but it’s not quite what it used to be. Issues of society that were addressed in their Friday night/Saturday morning cartoons are no longer brought up in newer episodes or series because they’re either too scarred to bring them up or because they think it’s no longer a problem when they’re still issues we face. If they decide to go dark and gritty and focus on the flaws of “perfect” heroes, I would love for them to focus on more than just the same five or six things every time. If they could take notes from the DCAU, as Kahuna said, that would be wonderful, and it would also help if they took a trip down Memory Lane. They shouldn’t be afraid to look at the more sinister stories they once wrote.

They have the means to redirect the new DC movies into more than a summertime action flick. Now they just need to step forward and do it.

“We're actors — we're the opposite of people!”
    ― Tom Stoppard, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.