I attended an early screening of Ghost in the Shell 2017, here is my verdict.

Home Forums Off Topic I attended an early screening of Ghost in the Shell 2017, here is my verdict.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by shenyongo shenyongo 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    shenyongo
    shenyongo
    Participant

So after years of development hell, Ghost in the Shell finally gets made by Hollywood.
    After over a year, we finally see how the result is.
    My university’s anime club, which I attend, was invited to an early screening of the movie, which we all attended.
    I will likely do a review of this movie eventually, but for now click here to see my spoiler-free verdict on the 2017 Ghost in the Shell.

shenyongo
    shenyongo
    Participant

Before you let the low RT score sway you from seeing the movie, please watch this video from mundanematt.

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

I still plan on braving the theaters one of these weekends. Just not sure when. But MundaneMatt brings up some good points, especially how the Hollywood political machine / witchhunt can make or break a movie. However, if the movie is genuinely slow paced and boring…. I hope at least there’s some good neo-philisophy (ala the original anime) to balance it out.

shenyongo
    shenyongo
    Participant

I still plan on braving the theaters one of these weekends. Just not sure when. But MundaneMatt brings up some good points, especially how the Hollywood political machine / witchhunt can make or break a movie. However, if the movie is genuinely slow paced and boring…. I hope at least there’s some good neo-philisophy (ala the original anime) to balance it out.

Speaking of which, do you and Cinemax plan on doing a review of the movie after y’all see it?

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

There’s barely any philosophical themes in the movie. All it does it tell you what you’re supposed to feel through forced exposition and the twist ending is the worst… It’s just unexplainable cause it needs to be seen.

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

shenyongo
    shenyongo
    Participant

There’s barely any philosophical themes in the movie. All it does it tell you what you’re supposed to feel through forced exposition and the twist ending is the worst… It’s just unexplainable cause it needs to be seen.

I will be fair when I did see it the 2nd time in IMAX I didn’t like it as much as the first time. (Also, IMAX format was fine but the 3D was distracting). While the action was short and sweet compared to most blockbusters, the villain CEO (the live action version of cutter) was too generic of a villain, the Major’s personal journey is a bit rushed. I honestly kind of liked the twist, but it was obviously there to try to appease people (which has only caused people to whine more…….). Also looking back at the trailers, I think Paramount might have cut stuff out of the film for time limit and to settle for that PG-13 rating (no blood splatter, lesbian scene is conviently shortened (no kiss on lips), lines and cliosfrom trailers and tv spots not present in final film).

They should’ve gotten Christopher Nolan, or maybe even Duncan Jones or Nicolas Winding Refn, to direct the movie, not a guy who only made 1 dull movie and commercials.
    Or maybe perhaps just ditch the Hollywood system altogether and partner with HBO to make a tv series (look at how Westworld, which is almost practically a Western GitS, came to be and how successful it was), cause I have kind of given up hope on Hollywood doing these properties enough justice to garner massive audiences for them. TV is just a better option for anime adaptations honestly. Even Death Note is being adapted as a Netflix movie, not a Hollywood movie.

shenyongo
    shenyongo
    Participant

Though I still honestly don’t think the movie was completely lifeless. Missed opportunity in a couple places but at least tries even if not always successful.
    I would recommend watching this review though.

shenyongo
    shenyongo
    Participant

Also apparently Rubert Sanders had actually intended a much more philosophical version of his adaptation to be released, as it was actually going to focus more on whether or not the Major was human (having only a part of her brain be organic). However from what has been recently reported apparently Paramount had the movie undergo extensive editing to basically ‘dumb down’ these aspects of the film, changing the overall focus and even the ending (which originally had Kuze merge his consciousness with the Major instead of dying).
    Basically the exact same thing that happened to the Warcraft movie, which was heavily edited in post-production and had certain scenes of vital + essential exposition and worldbuilding cut out to limit the runtime to only 2 hours long.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.