In defense of Freedom Planet's story

Home Forums Off Topic In defense of Freedom Planet's story

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Shinra Kuroki Shinra Kuroki 2 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

I just got done reading an article of Extra Punctuation, written by Zero Punctuation, a comedic video games critic over at TheEscapist.com. I found the article just plain appalling.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/extra-punctuation/14499-Mary-Sue-Characters-in-Video-Games

Freedom Planet is an Indie game that is the spiritual successor to the Sonic games (back when they were good: Sonic 3 and Knuckles) and in my opinion, a very good game. I love the music, I like the gameplay, and most of the bosses are interesting. There is no doubt that the game play over shadows the story by a light year, but the story is still a very basic, but passable story. The voice acting is very good for an indie studio and I found the story to be very charming, even though it seems targeted for kids. The worst part of the story is that it seems very rushed. The writing is good in my opinion, but the over all plot could have used some tweaks. The plot gets the players from point A to point B and so on, but it’s like trying to write a story for Sonic 2. How do you bridge being at the Hidden Palace Zone and then Oil Ocean Zone?

Over all, I found the Extra Punctuation article incoherent and jarring. I see all these attempts to say something meaningful, but it seems far from any cogent thinking I know of. Sonic fans are weird, therefore Freedom Planet shouldn’t have a story. There’s Ludonarrative dissidence in the Witcher 3, therefore Freedom Planet shouldn’t have a story. People might wank off to Freedom Planet, therefore Freedom Planet shouldn’t have a story. I think the characters are Mary Sues, therefore Freedom Planet shouldn’t have a story. It’s complete and utter nonsense.

Zero Punctuation seemed to be interesting in talking about “should art be made for the artiest or for his patrons”. He thinks the latter is true, but made an entire article that seems to only be for the writer himself.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.