Is Netflix still our savior or just a dumping ground for rejected film projects?

Home Forums Off Topic Is Netflix still our savior or just a dumping ground for rejected film projects?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Mr.K Mr.K 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

shenyongo
    Participant

In light of certain Netflix released movies such as Death Note, Bright, and more recently Cloverfield Paradox, I am starting to wonder whether Netflix is actually “the savior of the movie industry” or just a dumping ground for execs to dump rejected projects into in order to cover up losses rather than try something new.
    Granted one could argue that it is still too early to be able to provide a clear answer to that, however taking into considering the origins of Death Note (2017), Bright, and Cloverfield Paradox as having originally been Hollywood projects that got canned only to get picked up by Netflix (with Cloverfield Paradox having actually been developed at Paramount before Paramount decided to chicken out of giving it a theatrical release) – and not to mention Annihilation (from the director of Ex Machina) is another Paramount film set to get the same treatment for the UK release – I m really starting to wonder if Netflix is really going to revolutionize the movie business like a lot of us previously had presumed.
    And these tweets have gotten me thinking about this topic:

Heck, even one of their series, Neo Yokio (the Jayden Smith “anime”) was originally greenlit as an FX series only to be cancelled – and then greenlit again as an FXX series only to be canceled yet again until Netflix decided to buy it just because.

Maybe I am being a little too harsh on Netflix, but I can’t help but think that a producer whose in their right mind would have never allowed someone like Adam Wingard to do what he did to Death Note unless they didn’t give a shit. Not to mention Amazon, who has used Amazon Prime as their own streaming service, who not only give their movies an actual theaterical release before making them available on their service but have also had a much better track record when it comes to the quality of the films (Manchester by the Sea comes to mind).

But what do y’all think? Should we be worried about Netflix, or is Netflix perfectly fine and should be able to do whatever it wants?

shenyongo
    Participant

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Hmm… I would go on limb and say both.

1). Netflix is a platform that now (allegedly) allows creators to make their own things without any restraints and with huge success including Devilman Crybaby, Bojack Horseman, Voltron, Castlevania, Orange Is The New Black and all Netflix created shows/movies while allowing independent films like Okja to strive on streaming services where other big studios refuse to release unless they’re allowed to meddle with the creation to appeal to a wider audience (Snowpiercer incident due to Weisntein wanting to cut out 40 minutes of the film to achieve a PG 13 rating in the western release to double dip it as a Director’s Cut for home video release). We’ve seen how Netflix is free of any censoring, politics or restrictions involved when making show or movie and it’s up to the creators themselves to step their game up in creating the most diverse unique story for millions of viewers and out their artistic visions to the test. This is something Netflix is good at like how CCS said on their podcast: They allow full control or their projects and make the best out of their visions to share with the world.

2). Despite Netflix doing great things, I fear Netflix has already succumbed to the greedy business practices of Hollywood top executives and with The Cloverfield Paradox being a success, I feel Hollywood is gonna use Netflix as an excuse to dump their big budget original movies into the site while claiming it will reduce their budget costs for other projects and fucking over new filmmakers who want to work on the industry. Films like Death Note, Bright, The Cloverfield Paradox and Spectral, all these big budget films made in Hollywood, were given the thumbs down by Hollywood and got washed to Netflix without even giving the films a chance to let the films stand on their two feet at theaters which represents Hollywood cynical decision into relying on nostalgia and big brands to make more movies without soul or compassion. Not to mention Paramount considering removing Annihilation from theaters cause they find the movie “too intellectual” for audiences and dump it to Netflix to save more money similar to how they handled The Little Prince.

So yeah, executives gonna find their way to save money by doing the most shittiest thing possible.

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.