Is Rotten Tomatoes ruining Hollywood? Is this just finger-pointing?

Home Forums Off Topic Is Rotten Tomatoes ruining Hollywood? Is this just finger-pointing?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by shenyongo shenyongo 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    shenyongo
    shenyongo
    Participant

http://www.slashfilm.com/rotten-tomatoes-is-the-destruction-of-hollywood-says-director-of-bad-movies-brett-ratner/
    A couple months Brett Ratner made a bold claim that Rotten Tomatoes is ruining Hollywood and causing low box office returns. And recently with Pirates of the Caribbean having opened ‘a little lower than expected’ many others have been linking it to the RT score.

Personally while I can understand what is meant by this, I cant help but be a bit cynical about this. On one hand the public does tend to be a little too reliant on seeing how many critics liked a movie (which is what an RT score is), on the other hand I can’t help but think there is more to it than that. For instance in the case of Pirates, it likely has to do with the fact that the last one was 6 years ago (just look at how Alice Through the Looking Glass bombed despite the first one grossing a billion). Not to mention there are plenty of movies with low RT scores that made a lot of money (the Transformers movies for instance)
    Granted there are several movies I like that got low RT scores like Only God Forgives, Atlantis The Lost Empire (imperfect as it is), not to mention great movies that only have a score of around 70% like Dredd or Pacific Rim. So I get why people are suggesting that RT is ruining Hollywood.
    But I can’t but wonder if this is merely going to distract from the big issues with Hollywood (bloated budgets, misguided marketing strategies + studio meddling, etc).
    (Not to mention I think people get mad at RT whenever a its a certain blockbuster that gets a low RT score, not when an experimental indie film like Only God Forgives gets a low RT score).
    What do y’all think? Does Rotten Tomatoes share any blame for Hollywood doing poorly?

shenyongo
    shenyongo
    Participant
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.