LaughingMan’s List of TRUE Motivators

Home Forums Off Topic LaughingMan’s List of TRUE Motivators

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  EntityDJI 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

I thought maybe I’d “build up” after so much “tearing down”. I’d like to start a thread for motivational speakers.

NO! NOT the kind of people who get paid an ungodly amount of money to run and scream on a stage, reciting bullshit LIES about how ‘you are special’ and how ‘you can do ANYTHING if you have PASSION or BELIEVE’.

No, I want figures who have built empires and are not arsed to simply regurgitate the PR speak of “telling people what they want to hear”, but instead look you in the eye and say “this is how things simply are”. I want speakers who, after listening to them, make you think to yourself:

“I’m going to accomplish this motherfucker!”
    or
    “I’d done being a lazy dreamer, it’s time to start DOING.”

I want motivational figures who will say “Do you know how much shit I’ve FAILED at before I got something good?”. I especially want motivational speakers who take a step back from all the FEELZ and the keys to success that is fed to the intellectually lazy.  PRACTICAL motivators. People who cut through the bullshit and inspire you to get out of bed in the morning and kick ass like a deathmetal alarm clock cranked to 11. Doesn’t matter if you want to be a creator, or if you just want to stack dead presidents (make money), they offer advice that gets you going.

Two of my favorites thus far:

Scott Adams
    (Dilbert creator):

“GOALS are for losers. PASSION is overrated. LUCK can be manipulated.”

Nolan Bushnell
    (Inventor of Pong, Founder of Atari, aka ‘modern gaming’; Founder of Chuck E. Cheese’s; Steve Job’s old boss who was offered 1/3 of ALL of Apple)

“Anyone who said ‘he stole my idea’ is a fool. If you had an idea and did nothing on it, you’re lazy. Laziness is unacceptable!”

Nat
    Nat
    Participant

What about this guy?

He seems like a great guy with no horrifying secrets whatsoever:

Jordan Chase
    “Take It!”

- There was a signature here... it's gone now...

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

What about this guy?

He seems like a great guy with no horrifying secrets whatsoever:

Yeah there’s TOTALLY no dead blond women sealed up in oil drums and tossed into the Florida swamp with this guy…

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Current motivators

1. M dot Strange

2. My indie dev peers

3. My writer peers

It’s good to surround yourself with creatives.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Just listen to the opening line. Motivates the hell outta me!

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

Here’s a couple of my personal favorite speeches from history, these guys just inspire me and make me keep going.

Mahatma Gandhi

“Ask not what your country can do for you”

“Tear down this wall”

“I have a dream”

Now, this one is a bit controversial:

Now, let me be clear: I’m not a nazi, nor do I support the nazi ideology, nor do I admire or idolize Adolf Hitler; but I cannot deny the fact this man was proud and steady in his conviction, fighting for what he thought was the best for his people. This man was a great motivator and he gave great speeches. He built a huge empire and he gained millions of followers. I simply cannot deny the fact that Adolf Hitler was a great motivator, but he fought for a more… “wrong” cause.

There’s also Georges Danton, from late 18th century france, during the revolution; whom I find his words very inspiring.

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

Wow, people are posting great speakers and idealists, and here I am posting stuff on achieving success in business. I guess I have an 80’s “Me Generation” mentality. LOL.

Wallstreet: “Greed is Good”

But I guess I should clarify what I’ve been looking for: Writers who look you in the eyes and say “Writers write. So write”; Musicians who say “It was a hard journey, but I never backed down”; Creators who say “Don’t be timid. Take a chance and create”; Closers who say “ABC: Always Be Closing”

Basically, I want to make a list of resources that give you practical, firsthand advice on accomplishing your life’s ambitions and to think for yourself.

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Basically, I want to make a list of resources that give you practical, firsthand advice on accomplishing your life’s ambitions and to think for yourself.

I thought this site had good advice/tools for indie devs: https://www.gameacademy.com/blog/

The Forever Alone podcast (posted above) has some interesting talks with their guests about being motivated and fearless in accomplishing your goals and not following some hype/peer-pressure, along with animation/film topics. These guys do their own thing and make a living off of it and while they are not Hollywood big-wigs, they are happy with their situation as they do the films/animations they want to create.

While difficult, that sounds pretty boss to me.

Screamerclauz got a lotta flack by critics for making Where The Dead Go To Die, which is deemed one of the most disturbing/horrible animated movies ever, but he is doing his shit still and doesn’t care what they think.

M dot Strange seems to not be in animation so much but is focusing on game development. In fact, I might check out his Unity tutorials.

If I find anything related to writers, I’ll post them here as well.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

0megablaster
    Participant

Holy crap there is alot going on here. But has anyone thought about how you can be your own special motivator in all this? I motivate myself everyday just by knowing that I have a bright future ahead of me as long as I work hard for it. I remember all the things I’ve done and the people I’ve met and all the fun times I’ve had to get me ready to get shit done.

What I’m saying is sometimes you don’t need someone else to tell you that you have great potential inside you. You just have to look inside yourself to see it and say to yourself “It’s time to make a difference and get something done”.

We live to play and let's players play to live. Life isn't easy but it sure is fun.

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

This thread needs more ponies ^-^

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

0megablaster
    Participant

Oh no… NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

We live to play and let's players play to live. Life isn't easy but it sure is fun.

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

I’m going to relate to LaughingMan’s “objective” person at an emotional level. We all know life is a tough bitch and it’s natural for some of us to feel weak, inferior or perishing in our world, but if I had to give out someone who I can look in the eye and tell me “You’re not weak, you can accomplish your objectives, you will reach the top”, there’s one man I can always hear:

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Nat
    Nat
    Participant

Now, I’m not a lesbian, but I would gladly marry this woman. I mainly watch her for her body make up tutorials (seriously, check her out!!) but she also occasionally makes videos about her Diabetes, which I always find inspirational and great to watch.

Again, nothing but love for this woman 🙂

- There was a signature here... it's gone now...

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Writers will probably appreciate this podcast. I can relate to Dickson’s 4 ways writers self-sabotage ourselves (so true).

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Personally, the series Gurren Lagann really motivated me into being a reviewer. Aside the crazy action and situations that break the laws of physics, I found the message about building your life by your own hands, not by obeying some preachy speech or kneeling down to authority is really gut-wrenching.

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.