Nintendo Switch Announced

Home Forums Off Topic Nintendo Switch Announced

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Mr.K Mr.K 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Yeah, It’s Wii U 2.0…. Fuck.

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Here’s a list regarding the specs of the console and developers announced to make games for the Switch.

In terms of games shown in the trailer, we’re getting an untitled open world Mario game, Splatoon 2, Skyrim and a basketball game.

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

#Nintendo #WeAreGoingToChangeTheWayYouPlayVideoGames #ForeverSkeptical

With Nintendo I normally don’t care about the hardware gimmicks, but the “stay/go” functionality is intriguing. However, it’s the content out-of-the-gate that will determine whether or not other Devs will bother to jump on board, and the console environment that will determine whether they will stay there.

The TechReviewUSA video does help sell me on the hardware/environment, and I agree that Flash Storage is the way to go vs Blu-Rays. Faster, bigger, possibly not terribly expensive in comparison to Sony’s proprietary disc format.

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

Addendum double-post:

To be successful Nintendo has to do two things IN ORDER:
    Release at least a dozen or so (like no less than 10) individual 1st party games right from the getgo: Pokemon, Metroid, whatever people want. That way it incentivizes the 3rd party developers to even give this system the time of day.

And once they do that, they need to have hardware that will KEEP the 3rd party devs porting their new content to a capable machine. No watered-down, 5 year late 3rd party ports of stuff like Skyrim. Needless to say, that part of the video raises a lot of skepticism in my mind. “Arkham City and Deus Ex Human Revolution! …… 3 years after everyone’s played it!”

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

@laughingman Took the words right out of my mouth. I’m also intrigued by this “stay/go” console idea considering this was supposed to be Wii U but time constraints and high cost manufacturing got in the way of the original plan. Switch seems to be a much more realized console/handheld hybrid than Wii U and I applaud Nintendo for marketing Switch as a “CONSOLE”. not an “ADD-ON” like what happened with Wii U’s marketing. However, you and I both agree Nintendo needs to have strong 1st & 3rd party support on Switch’s launch day in March 2017 since like you said, it will determine whenever or not it will be worth the purchase of a new console but from the picture I posted, it seems that Nintendo does have more third party support for the Switch console including Bethesda & ATLUS partnering with Nintendo with a huge possibility we might be getting exclusive games for the consoles if it goes well (over 48+ third publishers & developers were announced to make games for the Switch… Fucking finally! More might be announced in the coming months. As for Skyrim, it seems to look like the Remastered Version for PS4/XBOX ONE but the question is will it support the same content like the other hardwares like being able to make fan created content or use mods for that matter? Probably in the future we might find out and yes, it does reek of the whole watered down ports of Arkham City and Human Revolution… Which sucked (the ports I mean). One of the things that intrigued me and I’m surprised you haven’t talked about this is the specs regarding the cartridge. I am very surprised Nintendo is stepping away from discs and going with cartridges which also begs the question if Nintendo 2D/3DS games could be compatible with the Switch and if they say yes then “BANG” you got yourself a nice seller that could easily top the Wii U’s horrendous sales.

Like I said, I’m still not sold on the console but it looks promising and now I want to see the company open the floodgates to announce more games for the Switch. Hell, I think it’s time for Nintendo of Japan to allow Nintendo of America to also make games for their consoles to boost up their library of games while also strengthens further relationships with 3rd party publishers & developers with stronger communication between the people making the games and their full support for the system.

Only time will tell if Nintendo is willing to make that change come true…

Dukect
    Dukect
    Participant

Yeah I’m hoping as the Nintendo Switch does look good all I’m want to know is the price point and backwards capability

Tyra1958
    Tyra1958
    Participant

Honestly, I should probably more skeptical of Nintendo, given all the mistakes they’ve made recently. But it’s a testament to how much I grew up with Nintendo for games than anything else that I’m already contemplating saving for the system when I should be more careful with my cash.
    I’m a bit worried about the whole ‘take-it-wherever’ since I doubt that the console games will be able to play as well when on the go, but THANK GOD FOR SD CARDS AND 32 GB STORAGE. FOR CHRIST’S SAKE I HAD TO BUY A HUGE FLASH DRIVE FOR MY WIIU. I know I should be more careful with Nintendo, but the steps they are taking (from better storage to the marketing and 3rd party pledges) are pulling at my heart strings. Honestly, I am going to be cautious, and wait for reviews and the library they offer. Zelda isn’t enough, I’ve already got it pre-ordered for WiiU, they need to give us new games from the motherload of series they have been sitting on. Also, if they’re porting games from the WiiU to the Switch… please, please, PLEASE don’t punish people who bought the originals on WiiU, since it doesn’t look like this system uses disks. Do something so that those don’t gather dust, without backwards compatibility my Wii games would be defunct since I don’t have a Wii anymore. @ Mr.K makes the point about 2DS/3DS games being used for the Switch, which is an interesting idea. I’d love to be able to play my 3DS games on a flat screen.
    Also… Nintendo. Fix online play. Playing games online like Smash for WiiU and Splatoon is great… until the connection is cut. They’ve made progress from the Wii to WiiU, now close the deal and make is so the Internet doesn’t scream whenever I connect.
    Fingers crossed for this; Nintendo needs a major success.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

TGBS rant incoming:

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant
    Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

What is worse, to try and innovate & fail or to just release the same console over again with slightly better specs making your customer base people without the money or know how to buy a PC?

Nintendo’s marketing strategy is simple, there’s always going to be kids to sell their classic, iconic series to. It sits firmly in the seat of the gate way drug into gaming (with phone games lacking the ability to make kids transition into the harder core stuff). It’s not going to produce anything very interesting for those of us who grew up with it & wish for it to grow up with us, but it staying in its comfort zone with safe IPs that are generally very family friendly. Nintendo should be easily able to stay afloat, cause having childhood nostalgia is basically better than having good games (form a marketing stand point). It’s what even normie parents would buy for their kids, & while the adult market is huge, having a stable niche is better than temporal mass appeal.

As with most speculation, I will now quietly wait for it to come out. I politely decline my ticket to the hype train, they usually land somewhere between the plains of validation or the valleys of disappointment. Neither destination suits my fancy. I much prefer the Town of Hindsight, where I get to watch the dazzling fireworks & the burning infernos safely, without becoming emotionally involved. I look forward to seeing how the Nintendo Switch pans out, but I won’t give it much thought till it does come out.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Looks like it’s building hype up and it’s gone:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/10/nintendo_wont_be_making_any_game_or_spec_related_switch_announcements_until_2017

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

CineMax and I had a fruitful conversation regarding the most obvious parallel between Nintendo’s three “Going to change the way you play video games” consoles (Wii, Wii U, and Switch). Every one of them boasted a load of third-party support. Every one of them had devs saying “we’re excited to make content for the new Nintendo console”.

In the end, nearly every one of them fizzled out to doing the bare minimum on the console.

Sure, we got some overdue ports with a gimmick or two, but Nintendo follows a dangerous pattern:

– Nintendo announces interesting innovations that gets media hype
    – Public gets hyped
    – Developers talk about supporting the innovations
    – Public gets hyped
    – Nintendo is vague about the games coming out-of-the-gate, and their own Day 1 releases
    – Public gets eerily cautious
    – Nintendo launches non-competitive hardware (unlike the days of the NES and SNES where Nintendo was king by attempting to out-perform Sega’s hardware at every turn) and bank on the hyped gimmick alone
    – Nintendo releases only a small handful of games that show off the gimmick of the hardware (Wii: Wii Sports, Twilight Princess, Wii Play; Wii U: New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, Sing Party)
    – The gimmick is fleeting, possibly even a detriment to the gameplay (Twilight Princess’s rushed and ill-received WiiMote features, according to Wikipedia)
    – There’s a low initial adoption rate
    – 3rd parties don’t see the cost/benefit of developing (or even at the very least porting) their games to the console
    – Without the inrush of new games or developer support, there’s sales stagnation as gamers wanting the new titles go to PS or Xbox, and casual gamers play Candy Crush on their smartphones
    – Nintendo announces a really big nostalgia (or “memberberries”) title (usually rhyming with ‘Crash Mothers’)
    – Public gets hyped
    – Years go by, but a new ‘Crash Mothers’ traier drops around every E3
    – Public gets annoyed
    – ‘Crash Mothers’ is finally released as a new console is rumored to be in development
    – The current gen console gets a bit of an upswing, but too little far too late

Rinse, repeat.

The only way Nintendo can possibly break out of this is to say RIGHT FUCKING NOW that they are for sure releasing AT LAUNCH :

*insert laundry list of about 10 first-party titles like Pokemon, Metroid, Zelda, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc*

*insert EXCLUSIVE games that don’t even necessarily need to be AAA calibur. Give us some NEW 2D Mega Man, Castlevania, or Contra goodness. Or maybe secure highly anticipated games like Beyond Good and Evil 2? Fund that Eternal Darkness sequel that keeps cropping up on Kickstarter FFS*

For as long as I can remember, ANY game console’s strength is developer support. You only get developer support when you have an installation base, and you only get the installation base by having something people WANT right from the word “GO” (first party support).

NES and SNES era: “Oh look at all the great games you can play RIGHT NOW. I’m going to get a NES/SNES”
    N64 and PSX era: “Oh, not a lot on the N64 I want, but the Playstation has some cool looking stuff! *migrates*”
    PS3 and Xbox360 era: “Oh, Xbox360 has more games I want to play! *migrates*”
    PS4 and XboxONE era: “Oh, fuck these two, all the stuff I want is on PC and I don’t have to drop $500-600 on a new machine! *stays content at the PC*”

Get the games first, and the public will follow.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

@laughingman Exactly! If these are the developers going to make games for the Switch, show us proof like gameplay footage, CG trailer announcement or anything rather than waiting next year for news of games. If you just release a trailer expecting it’s fans to be hyped over a console with barely any games, I’m not gonna buy in the hype until I see software that I’m interested in playing. Keep marketing the damn console and people will follow. Hell, make Nintendo Directs for any recent news on the Switch to keep the audience informed with it’s specs and game library to keep their consumers happy until launch day yet Nintendo is just gonna wait out until next year for marketing? That’s like Microsoft announcing XBOX 600 at E3 2017 but they start marketing the console on March 2018 but the public gets sick of waiting for the console to be released and they move on to something else instead. Stopping the marketing of the Switch until 2017 is gonna damage the sales for the company and Nintendo will take a hit if they go repeating this route no matter how much nostalgic the company is. They need to step the fuck up or perish though their mistakes.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

FUUUUUUUCK YOU NINTENDO! YOU HAD ONE JOB!
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-10-21/nintendo-switch-will-not-be-compatible-with-wii-u-discs-3ds-cards/.107951

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

Well, I guess I arrived a tad bit late to the discussion, so I’ll be brief.

I have no faith whatsoever in Nintendo. At all. Even with now being able to carry “big games” like Skyrim, I have no faith in this console at all. Hell, even with the latest of Nintendo’s decisions which aren’t the fucking best, I’m still not buying into it.

To quote Mr. K’s link: “Nintendo previously announced 48 publishers, developers and middleware partners who are supporting the system. The company is planning to announce a launch date, list of launch window titles, price, and other specifics prior to the hardware’s March launch.

*clears throat*

HOW ABOUT SHOWING US THE FUCKING GAMEPLAY INSTEAD OF MAKING HOLLOW PROMISES LIKE YOU DID WITH THE WII U?

I don’t care anymore about Nintendo, and clearly, Nintendo doesn’t even care for itself. As long as you’ve got a planet filled with 12-year-olds who like to buy the same shit again and again and again and you can use the console zealots to your advantage, ain’t no one taking you down (And that also goes to CoD for hoarding the MW remake to promote a shitty reskin of the past game)

Only time will tell if Nintendo will prevail, but I’m not very confident it will.

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.