The cap needs a boyfriend, and pronto!

Home Forums Off Topic The cap needs a boyfriend, and pronto!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Shinra Kuroki Shinra Kuroki 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/05/24/fans-launch-givecaptainamericaaboyfriend-campaign-on-twitter-2/

As always, I begin my statements by saying that I’m not a homophobe, I don’t hate homosexuals and I have nothing against homosexuality; but this is just fucking ridiculous. It’s just like Ghostbusters, these people want to take an iconic character and twist it to promote their selfish ideas.

Yeah, forget that there are already a lot of homosexual superheroes, including X-Men’s Iceman, Batwoman, Watchmen’s Hooded Justice and Captain Metropolis; yeah, forget that homosexuality is now more prominent than ever in American culture; forget that there’s places where the homosexual community is actually discriminated (Russia and the Middle East), yeah, forget that; Captain America MUST be homosexual, even if he has had 2 intimate relationships, he MUST BE.

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Jake_L
    Jake_L
    Participant

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t Cap get hitched to Sharon in the comics?

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

She had even got pregnant from the baby, but it didn’t end well. I think they also had adopted Nomad as their son.

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

A post by a member of the LGBT community came to my attention where he basically says that making Captain America gay is a stupid idea. To paraphrase, this fellow by the name of Dan is pleading to not force the straight characters to be gay, but to put more spotlight on the existing gay characters from DC/Marvel comics. He goes on to say that Captain America has never been gay, and right now it’s a bunch of little girls who are shipping Steve and Bucky just because they’re bff’s.

Not being gay myself, I just want to take what this fellow said and ask an honest question if only to start a dialog: Isn’t it a bit patronizing to take the bigger characters and essentially paint-over them to appease a demographic? Isn’t it like reverse-whitewashing? Wouldn’t it be more beneficial to put more attention on actual gay characters vs appeasing Tumblr? To me it just seems so much less genuine.

0megablaster
    0megablaster
    Participant

You’re totally right LaughingMan. In my opinion i think making Cap bi-sexual wouldn’t fit his character so it might do more harm than good. But they could cap supporting the LGBT community when talking to a gay superhero. It’s the only way any of it would work

We live to play and let's players play to live. Life isn't easy but it sure is fun.

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

I guess to clarify I’m just wondering if the following scenario is insulting or not:

You have a superhero that happens to be gay. As you read the comic and get to know the character, and the trials and tribulations of what makes him or her a unique character. No doubt some aspects of their sexuality shapes their lives and their character arch, which will likely lead to some readers bonding with the character, much like Spiderman speaks to geeks. Maybe that character is empowering and some of the things they overcome are things that inspire you to overcome them in your own life. You enjoy the character, and you’re hoping they get more screentime in some form or another.

Then Marvel/DC comes out saying “yeah, we’re going to feature a character that happens to be gay in a feature film!”

You’re like “Oh wow! I hope it’s this character I have come to appreciate and has a great storyline!!”

Then, with a waive of a magic wand, it’s announced that Captain America/Iron Man/Batman/Superman/Whatever is gay. Like flipping a lightswitch, it just ‘is’.

I can’t help but think this would be extremely insulting on a storytelling level, let alone having a complex character heralded within a community go completely ignored.

Thoughts?

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

I can’t help but think this would be extremely insulting on a storytelling level, let alone having a complex character heralded within a community go completely ignored.

Thoughts?

Yeah. Put spotlight on great, but maybe not as popular/well-known characters. Like Negasonic Teenage Warhead in the Deadpool film.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

Fun fact, not everyone asking for this stupid idea is gay. A lot of them are SJW “allies” (with allies like these, the LGBT movement doesn’t need enemies) and they’re officiously helping us poor gays be shoehorning diversity at the expense of quality writing. There’s also the fujoshi on Tumblr who just can’t get enough yaoi. Yaoi & “Boy’s love” anime is primarily made by women for women in Japan. Don’t let the morally righteous SJWs deceive you, this isn’t about equality, it’s simple male objectification & fujoshi thirst for the vast majority of the idiots supporting this dumb idea.

I do find it insulting that writers think they can just tag on the gay label to a character & act like that is diversity. It ruins a lot of good stories, just like when they did it to Green Lantern. They messed up any chance for a emotional spectrum of power rings story by doing that. Gay-washing a character is not something you can just do to an already well established character without generating a ton of retcons & unweaving a lot of good plot lines. It’s sloppy writing and the writer is just going to use their LGBT representation as a shield when people start calling their poor writing exactly what it is.

But hey, Cap is a Hydra agent now. The current writer has already boned Cap far harder than any boyfriend ever could.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Jake_L
    Jake_L
    Participant

Going off what Shinra said, I’m more than certain that the derth of people calling for Cap to go crazy for the penis are just whiny yaoi fangirls that want their disturbing slash fics to be cannon.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Thoughts?

It is because these days, when it comes to the controversial topics of diversity or even gender, their solution is to make a big deal about their skins, cultures, gender or race as their excuse for their shoddy writing instead of making a good character. People often forget a strong character is supposed to be the one who deal or work around their flaws and thus, we root for them to accomplish his/her goals in the end but now, these writers are so up and arms about diversity while pointing fingers at white-washing like little kids, it’s getting harder and harder for other writers to create engaging narratives in favor of PC tactics for more “progression” in our society. Also, I barely give a shit about a character’s skin or gender because those elements are not even important as the whole point of having a character is to either relate to their problems or find them engaging due to their personality & straight up charisma.

Here’s an example of a great character:

Marjane Satrapi (Persepolis) – She’s a woman who lived her childhood during the Islamic Revolution in Iran throughout her life as she witness her rights being stripped away by religious and political zealots including being forced to wear the veil, having her dreams crushed due to universities being closed down with capitalism being the reason for it’s closure and being forbidden to be herself with her teenage life being a living hell with her friends dying around her due to bombings and many of her relatives running away to the US before the war started. After an incident with the school principal, her parents decided to book her a trip to Austria to live free from the stress of her country and now, Marjane goes on a journey to discover not only a place she never went before but also learn more about herself and the possibility of being free to carve her own path. Based on her own memoirs, this is a character you can relate or sympathize with through her actions as she goes on a long journey to re-discover life and make amends to her past by moving forward.

Here’s an example of a bad character:

Elsa (FROZEN): I know this been talked about too damn much but goddamn it, I hate this film and it’s influence this film had on Disney and female characters in general. Elsa is a cowardly queen who takes no responsibility for her actions, runs away while the kingdom is in frozen shambles with the townsfolk possibly dying, sings a song on how “empowered” she has become despite that she isn’t one, kills her sister because she doesn’t want to go to Arandelle to fix her moronic mistakes by acting like a temper tantrum child and gets forgiven quickly because “the power of love” solves everything while critics and audiences sucked this film’s dick because of their claims of Elsa being a “positive” influence to women and claiming “it subverts the Disney Princess tropes” despite Disney subverting the tropes for decades to evolve while making a big deal on how “strong female empowered” characters must be a the norm for all future female characters in comics, games or films (Hence why the Rey character is a bit mediocre in Star Wars 7).

For me, it’s hard to come up ways to discuss this dead horse of a topic (since I talked about this topic constantly with friends) cause it always ends up with the same solution I end up with: If you want to make different type of characters that are black, gay, pink, blue, lesbian or bisexual, write a good story & character around your idea, not force writers by spitting their artistic integrity and shove gays, blacks or lesbians for the sake of the “diversity” bandwagon.

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

For me, it’s hard to come up ways to discuss this dead horse of a topic (since I talked about this topic constantly with friends) cause it always ends up with the same solution I end up with: If you want to make different type of characters that are black, gay, pink, blue, lesbian or bisexual, write a good story & character around your idea, not force writers by spitting their artistic integrity and shove gays, blacks or lesbians for the sake of the “diversity” bandwagon.

I had a friend watch Akame ga Kill & he quit watching it half way though. One of his problems was one of the main characters was gay & he felt like it was kind of a throw away plot point that never really went anywhere. He was a decently written character with his own motivation & back story, funny, & was flawed. Him being gay was just a facet of his personality, not the be all end all. The problem my friend had was that him being gay wasn’t necessary for the plot in any way, shape, or form. It seemed to him, that there was no point in adding a gay character if that character isn’t going to do anything with that gayness. I guess he thought it was pandering, but I found it to just be luck of the draw.

My point is that some it’s going to feel weird to people to have diverse characters without the identity politics being shoved down their throat. People use to not care, but now it’s like that stupid joke of “Don’t think of pink elephants”. After people are aware of ID politics, it hard to put it out of your mind and just enjoy diverse characters. When people see minority characters, they now expect them to either spout some ID politics mumbo jumbo or to say something subversive of said ID politics mumbo jumbo.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.