Tim Schafer: GamerGate at GDC 2015

Home Forums Off Topic Tim Schafer: GamerGate at GDC 2015

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by PandaWarlock PandaWarlock 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

I posted the original video and Sargon of Akkad’s reaction.

I am not sure what Schafer is trying to pull here but why can’t the whole thing just die?

Just watching makes me cringe.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

PandaWarlock
    PandaWarlock
    Participant

I am not sure what Schafer is trying to pull here but why can’t the whole thing just die?

Whaaa? Things coming from your mouth make no sense.

I feel like there are two kinds of activists out there. Positive and negative ones.
    Positive kind wants to build something. To improve something. They go to great lengths in order to gather money/build infrastructure/fund research they feel will improve the life of either whole population or specific group of people in need.

And there is negative kind. Those who fight against something. They need to tear down the opposing or enslaving force. Destroy something in order to make things better. That’s why they need an enemy. They feel most validated and righteous when surrounded with obstacles and enemies to overcome.

Now guess, which kind of activist would stir up controversy and try to provoke the “opposing force” publicly like that? It’s in their interest to not only be attacked, but also hated. So they can say “you see how oppressed and harassed we are? But we keep fighting the Good Fight nevertheless!”
    Believe me. I know. I come from a country with that mindset. If we don’t have an enemy on the outside, it’s just a matter of time before we start infighting. That’s why having some “us vs. them” is important, before we start searching for “them” among “us”.

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

I was just saying how stupid the whole pro-GG/anti-GG conflict is.
    Not saying promoting/demanding better ethics is a bad thing or an unworthy cause but with the anti-GG crowd still harping on the issue about how they have been victimized and getting rewarded with attention, it seems pointless in trying to have a rational discussion with these people.
    Leave it to the markets to decide who wins and loses in the end. It will be the gamers who are going to win eventually because they will drop support for those that marginalize them and that hurts the pockets of the “progressives”.
    Feelings vs. Facts

Even after all these months, I still find it bizarre that GG is still happened and is still ongoing. The gaming community, despite having its share of assholes (like any other community), is one of the most inclusive, creative, and diverse communities out there today. Hopefully, more people will scrape through the crap and see that.

In the meantime, I’m going to continue buying/playing the games I like and not giving a damn about their social justice merits. It’s entertainment/art after all.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

Someone giving a speech at an awards ceremony uses it as a political soapbox? Blasphemy!
    #Oscars2015

http://reason.com/archives/2015/03/03/feminisms-oppression-obsession-hurts-wom

CineMax
    CineMax
    Participant

Even after all these months, I still find it bizarre that GG is still happened and is still ongoing.

Well, considering the fact that the mainstream gaming media still continues to ridicule and spit in the face of their audience, I don’t think it’s all that surprising.

Plus, this?

The gaming community, despite having its share of assholes (like any other community), is one of the most inclusive, creative, and diverse communities out there today.

Hopefully, more people will scrape through the crap and see that. In the meantime, I’m going to continue buying/playing the games I like and not giving a damn about their social justice merits. It’s entertainment/art after all.

I’d go so far as to say that this is the default position of most people who associate themselves with the movement. Remember, it wasn’t gamers who started crying about the lack of diversity, sexism, oppression, etc. I’m not a huge fan of forced dichotomies. I.e., you’re either with us or against us.

But in the case of GamerGate, you can really tell what people are after depending on their affiliation. Even someone who is entirely neutral and/or impartial to the matter is at least being honest. However, those who’ve tried to sweep the entire movement under the rug since day one? Matt Lees, Bob Chipman, Jim Sterling (to some extent), Leigh Alexander — it’s pretty obvious what they want to get out of this. I.e., preserve the status quo, keep polluting the industry with their bigoted nonsense, promulgate cronyism, etc.

If one doesn’t want to get involved with the issue, all you need to do is just avoid the hashtag altogether. But I’m telling you, it goes a bit deeper than Team Red vs. Team Blue in this case.

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Sorry, guys. It seems I am not doing a good job expressing my points 🙁

@cinemax: I just think its insane (but not surprising) that one person takes gaming out of context and creates a narrative of how it supports sexism and oppression. And people freaking believe them. Sadly, this is happening everywhere from journalism to our education system. I really don’t see any end in sight unless they get hit where it really hurts: their wallet. They know they are full of crap and just want to gain a profit through money/accolades. It is deeper than black and white but at this point it seems pointless to try to debate with people that are so ingrained in their thought process that they believe they have the moral authority on everything. I guess what I am trying to say is that the whole GG debate is frustrating and I wish there is some sort of resolution. At least that is what my inner idealist wants. My cynical side just says “Fat chance.”

@laughingman: Yeah, see, this is one of the reasons why I don’t watch Hollywood award shows. I think those after parties are just one big circle-jerk orgy. Identity politics has to go. For example, I’m biracial (white/black). Tell me, should I be half-oppressed/half-oppressor?

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

PandaWarlock
    PandaWarlock
    Participant

The thing about GG and aGG is that GG can exist without aGG – all the movement requires is gaming press to watch closely and point out the problems in it.
    While aGG by definition needs GG to operate and “attack” them. That’s why poking at the NotYourShield is valid tactics in this situation. He says something outright stupid and offensive to the whole non-white and non-male part of gamers that support the movement. It’s reasonable that people will get angry and some will voice their opinions. Sorry, did I say “opinions?” I meant “harassment”.

1. Stir shit up.
    2. Receive backlash.
    3. ???
    4. Profit!

I agree that the sad part is that people believe those hacks. But why shouldn’t they? It’s the narrative they heard before and one they keep on hearing about. It’s not like anyone would lie about such a noble or terrible things, right?
    “GG hates feminism (and women) and is not about ethics in game journalism.” – Feminists and game journalist.
    So yeah, they believe that and don’t believe that the GG is not misogynistic… After all, who would listen to what misogynists have to say, right?

This narrative makes it easy to make the whole Us vs. Them theme. And once those “prominent” figures declared themselves victims of Gamergate, they can’t just let the topic die. I mean, 80% of the time when Literaly Who is brought up, it’s by the aGG side. And yet it’s somehow that GG is so focused on hating those individuals? The whole conflict is artificial, but one side benefits a lot from it, so it will keep the thing alive as long as possible.

For example, I’m biracial (white/black). Tell me, should I be half-oppressed/half-oppressor?

You are free to feel as oppressed as you feel like. As long as you don’t shove your personal idea of oppression as an objective truth that is true to the whole demographic of people. Like some people do. It’s sad when somene’s argument comes down to “I am X. I feel oppressed. Therefore all X are opressed.”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.