What the hell is wrong with third party publishers and developers?

Home Forums Off Topic What the hell is wrong with third party publishers and developers?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Mr.K Mr.K 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

If there’s one thing that will make your console win big piles of money is support from third party publishers and developers cause it is the most important thing for a console to survive on. These big time publishers and developers bring in the big exclusives, the games that every gamer will melt their dicks off to get and no matter what happens, it still makes so much goddamn money. Hell, this year’s E3 was filled with booming announcements from some of the biggest companies in the gaming industry including Horizon Zero Dawn, Final Fantasy VII HD, Fallout 4, Doom reboot, the Mirror’s Edge prequel that Anita Sarkessian will sadly butcher to death (good going, DICE and EA), Gears of War 4, Halo 5, Uncharted 4 and much more. With all these announcements and big hype, all these games will be great and possibly be fun to play right?… Right?

Oh wait, of course not and guess what? THIS KIND OF BULLSHIT IS STILL FUCKING HAPPENING AND NO ONE IS SAYING A FUCKING WORD TO STOP THIS CRAP! Yep, with games like Destiny, Evolve, Batman Arkham Knight, The Order 1860, Dying Light, Watch Dogs, The Crew, Assassins Creed Unity, Aliens Colonial Marines and so many other triple AAA titles coming from third party publishers and developers, it’s no fucking wonder why Nintendo isn’t all trust worthy with third party support despite that Nintendo needs this support. One of the big problems with games coming from third party publishers and developers is that these games they unveil are all built on hype. Show a CG trailer and their balls turn to stone while showing some “exclusive gameplay” footage will make these gaming fanboys lose their fingers and the press will throw the good ol “Best of E3” awards stamp like if these pretty looking games are the Jesus Christ Superstar club. When the games get released however, the games, all of which the hype that gamers have been building around for, become nothing more than a pile of driveling bullshit. Batman Arkham Knight has been the biggest facepalm of any Batman game ever created, The Order 1860 proves that is a game built around on showing “realistic” detail in the graphics instead of good gameplay while delivering one of the worst original IP’s in gaming history and introducing us the worst looking werewolves since fucking Twilight, Evolve was a disc-lock content nightmare that makes CAPCOM blush, Dying Light was a crappy Mirror’s Edge game with zombies, Unity was a micro-transaction middle finger to the AC franchise, Destiny was a complete betrayal of storytelling of epic proportions that spawned countless better written fan-fiction than the actual game and Watch Dogs was never remembered after it’s release. Hell, I can sum it up with Angry Joe’s favorite quote:

“YOU DONE FUCKED IT UP!”

Look at it! All these games with big potential being wasted on pretty graphics and DLC cash-grabs but sadly, that’s how triple AAA games work these days. Instead of making games with interesting gameplay and story, third party companies and developers resolve into pushing the limits of “how can we make our models look realistic” or “how can we make gamers be pissed on what content to cut from the game and release it as paid DLC” or “how can we blame this particular problem to a less favorable company today like Nintendo!” (*cough* WB Games *cough*). Hell, I get now why Nintendo won’t even dare do this and don’t get me wrong, I still want Nintendo to have third party support on the Wii U console but let’s be real sincere here: what’s the point of having third party support for Wii U if these companies don’t deliver on their promises and backstab the consumers? It happened with Batman Arkham Origins for the Wii U when WB Games cancelled the Season Pass and forced Nintendo to pay their money back DESPITE that it should be WB Games paying the damn costumers, not Nintendo. Say what you want about Nintendo and yes, I do think that the company needs to evaluate themselves to improve their services but at least the company knows the time and patience to make good games once they hit the window release date. Why do you think people are playing Splatoon like crazy? Because it is a fun good game and while there is room for improvement, at least the game plays well and it’s enjoyable. Super Mario Maker is looking like the Mario creation game we’ve been dreaming about and Star Fox Zero might give Nintendo some much needed faith in the franchise. It’s also one of the reasons I moved to the Wii U because the system just had better games than the big overhyped black boxes that provide me with nothing but sadness and depression while the Wii U had *gasps* games that are actually fun to play.

What I’m trying to say is that third party publishers and developers need to go back to the basics: Make games for everyone. Back in the SNES days, developers didn’t rely on pretty rainbow visuals to make good games but instead push the limitations of software that allows for so much gameplay variety that’s been sadly lost in this modern age of gaming. For examples:

These games accomplished so much without the use of unnecessary pretty graphics and forced DLC. Look at how they succeed in making the gameplay, music and styles by working around the limitations with time and care when suddenly, the games are now into everyone’s minds because of how much of an impact it lasted and how these companies actually puts effort in their products. Do we play games like SSX, Burnout Revenge and GTA 5 for pretty stuff? Of course not, we play these games to be immersed in the story or gameplay because games are about escapism. There about learning different worlds, uncovering stories on our own, challenging your friends to a duel or race and it’s about the adventure of a lifetime. Those are the things that the triple AAA publishers and developers need to go back to because at this state, while gaming is popular, it has become a never-ending cycle of false promises and ignorance. Plus, this moronic kind of horseshit isn’t helping either:

http://www.businessinsider.com/super-mario-maker-hand-2015-7

Super Mario Maker’s Hand is sexist and racist….. and I’m gonna bail. Bye!

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Funny, I have Destiny (came pre-packaged with my PS4) but I never had the desire to try it out yet.

One of the big problems with games coming from third party publishers and developers is that these games they unveil are all built on hype.

One of the worst things to come out of the console wars was the increased focus on graphics and not gameplay. Actually, if you look up how to create a successful indie game, this is the order you need to focus on:

1. Gameplay: the core of all video games if you fuck that up, there is no chance at success. Needs to be responsive and easy to understand with appropriate challenge.
    2. Story: Depends on how far you want to go on complexity but story puts context behind a characters/setting and allows for more immersion.
    3. Graphics: Last because it is not really that important. You want your game to look good but it should not trump gameplay and story. Case in point: FFVII vs FFXIII

Why do you think people are playing Splatoon like crazy? Because it is a fun good game and while there is room for improvement, at least the game plays well and it’s enjoyable.

I went to my indie game dev meetup last month and there was mad talk about Splatoon. People were talking about how fun and colorful it was with a lot of gameplay potential. One of the devs piped up and went on about how he didn’t much care to play it because it looked too “kiddie” and he liked “realistic” games/graphics more.
    Then someone retorted: “That’s what’s wrong. People are focusing on graphics and “realism” and not the “fun-factor and creativity”.
    I felt like standing up in the middle of the bar, tipsy as all hell, and clapping.

Why put limits on games like that? WE CAN CREATE WHOLE NEW WORLDS AND POSSIBILITIES WITH VIDEO GAMES! WHY SHOULD THEY ALL PLAY/LOOK THE SAME!?

Those are the things that the triple AAA publishers and developers need to go back to because at this state, while gaming is popular, it has become a never-ending cycle of false promises and ignorance.

Focusing on money and lack of creativity will kill gaming. Another reason why I am glad indies are making waves. DLC needs to go extinct and besides third-party distribution, it is making games more expensive than they need to be. If DLC is to really work, it needs to just be an optional upgrade/bonus like “hey, this game has been out for a year and we made a new expansion pack with new story/characters” sort of thing.

I want to make my games enjoyable and memorable for players. I want to place my focus on good gameplay and story. Graphics are secondary because I don’t know how I want my games to look like. I might use 3D modern graphics or use pixels (let me tell you, pixels can look pretty damn good) but it just depends.

Super Mario Maker’s Hand is sexist and racist….. and I’m gonna bail. Bye!

You should have seen the hell some Polygon moron raised over Jill Valentine’s “jiggle physics” in the RE remake as being sexist and objectifying. They are fucking breasts, lady. Get over yourself! (It wasn’t outrageous as DOA so I think she really squinted at the screen so she could trigger herself over barely-noticable titty-jiggle.)

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

*cont.*

I guess if you want an somewhat awkward, inappropriate analogy between gameplay vs. graphics use a lover’s looks vs. “skills”.
    To continue the point between FFVII and FFXIII:
    Lightning was pretty but flat-out sucked in bed.
    Cloud looked average but he left his “partners” feeling more satisfied. Some would go so far to say he was “the best they ever had”.*

On a side note, is the Wii U really worth buying? I’m kind of waiting for more titles to come out but the Splatoon talk at the meeting got me interested.

I still gotta find people to play with though.

*see what I did there?

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

@kahunadrake I see what you did.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

@kahunadrake Pretty much sum it up. Game developers and publishers are focused on too much shit with hardware instead of software cause you know, pretty visuals are the sellers not the other fucking way around. Hell, my experience with these triple AAA companies backstabbing me in the back started when I was into Gears of War and used to be a wanna-be blinded hardcore gamer that wasted all my money on triple AAA shooters and sold my PS2 and Gamecube for a 360 (a decision that I still regret to this day). That is until Crysis 2 and Gears of War 3 came out and just like the blinded fanboy I used to be, I bought the games including Gears 3 Season Pass for possibly like $!60 dollars and when I played this games, I realized at that moment that the games were shallow, uninspired and brainless beyond reasons with the Season Pass being worthless because *shock* it didn’t really work. Not only that but when Microsoft decided to disable the points system to current currency money, they took all my 80,000 MS points and only gave me one dollar for those points. ONE. FUCKING. DOLLAR. That’s when I decided to move away from triple AAA gaming while buying the only games worthy of my attention on the 360 and eventually moved on to the Wii U since despite not being really popular, it was still a better system than Xbox ONE or PS4 with games that I actually enjoyed the games available for that system.

Also, if you want my advice if you’re planning to get a Wii U, buy the system if you enjoy playing games like Smash, Mario and Mario Kart while playing some really underrated games that the big mainstream gaming media ignores like The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2, AKA the best Wii U exclusive games that come with so much delicious content, and Hell, the Wii U is getting some marvelous exclusives like Devil’s Third, Yoshi Wolly World, Star Fox Zero and obviously Super Mario Maker coming out. Here’s a list of Wii U games that are worth owning:

Super Smash Bros. = It’s Smash Bros., of course and plus, the DLC is excellent.

Zombi U = an experimental zombie game that contains a great atmosphere and genuine tension with great Gamepad controls. Too bad Ubisoft is gonna release a shitty HD remaster of Zombi U called “Zombi” on the Xbox One with more content than the Wii U. Backstabbing assholes.

Bayonetta 2 = It comes with the original Bayonetta including Nintendo Costumes unlockable in the game.

The Wonderful 101 = It’s Power Rangers meets DMC and including the greatest OST that makes Valhalla tremble.

All of the Mario games of Wii U = It’s Mario but damn it, I love playing Mario games and at least they do add some innovative idea to the gameplay.

Mario Kart 8 = It’s a huge improvement over Mario Kart Wii.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse = A stressful challenging platform that uses the Gamepad’s stylus to navigate Kirby in the environment and fight some really hard boss battles.

Hyrule Warriors = It’s Dynasty Warriors with Zelda. Not a bad mix.

Pikmin 3 = Haven’t played the game yet but it looks really phenomenal and it could be a worthy collection.

Splatoon = It’s a great IP from Nintendo and the multiplayer, style and even the single player are excellent while getting free updates of content of new weapons, maps and even stages.

I am waiting for these third party publishers and developers to get their heads off their asses and try to make some good games on the Wii U system. I don’t care if the Wii U hardware is weak or powerful, just make some good games for the system already.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.