When people are free to choose…

Home Forums Off Topic When people are free to choose…

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Nat Nat 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

“When people are free to choose, they choose wrong” -The keystone of authoritarianism.

A popular philosophy about government was that mankind needed a strong government in order to curve it’s own immoral & vile nature. Some would take it as far as saying even a brutal, monstrous government is better than leaving people on their own. The core belief of authoritarianism is that people are too weak, immoral, & stupid to rule themselves, therefore a strong, absolute government is needed to keep them in control. I firmly reject such philosophy, while still seeming the point as to why we need a government. People can rule over themselves, but you still need a government capable of defending the people for external nations & from internal deviants such as criminals. It’s scary some people can’t see how inherently awful a authoritarian government is, & how often it betrays those “useful idiots” instrumental to it amassing such power. What makes me worry is not the authoritarians, but how easy it is for good people to eventually come to the conclusion that we need authoritarianism while fighting against authoritarianism .

Most don’t recognize it at first. It’s the: this idea is too dangerous, people shouldn’t be able to say. These actions to set up an authoritarian state are too dangerous, we can’t let them act like this. This critique is far too biased, people shouldn’t be able to do them since some people might be fooled by them.

I don’t have a problem with you pointing out the stupidity of authoritarians, just be careful not to turn into one while doing so. There’s always going to be authoritarians, they’re either stupid, are so immoral they think no one else can control themselves like themselves (projecting), &/or have been burned by humanity really bad. Some anti-authoritarians have such little faith in the common person, that they think any authoritarian propaganda is too dangerous for people that they have to apply legal, political, &/or social sanctions against the maker of said propaganda. It’s like seeing the snowball start to roll. It’s starts off small, then it grows exponentially quicker.

The difference between an anti-authoritarian & an authoritarian who is just in conflict with the current clique of authoritarianism, is the authoritarian drawls ever closer to the intro saying and an anti-authoritarian believes that “When people choose, some of them will choose wrong. Sometimes people as a whole will choose wrong. Sometimes people will choose wrong even when presented with the correct course of action. People will never always choose the right choice. People making wrong decisions is the cost of give them choice. People will make mistakes. People will live with the consequences of their mistakes. People will eventually fix their mistakes. It’s far more important for people to have a choice then to stop them from choosing the one wrong”.

Learning to accept some people will choose wrong is the hardest part of being a libertarian. It not just saying “Yes there should be choice”, but “Yes, there should be choice, even when people choose wrong”.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Nat
    Nat
    Participant

Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what to eat for dinner that night

- There was a signature here... it's gone now...

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.