WTF is wrong with Polygon?

Home Forums Off Topic WTF is wrong with Polygon?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Shinra Kuroki Shinra Kuroki 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

So yesterday Polygon posted are article titled “WTF is Wrong with Video Games?”. While the obvious answers are the video game press & censorship happy, authoritarian culture critics; the author had a very different answer. The authors problem with video games is that there was too much video game in his movie. His argument basically boiled down to this: video games are art, therefore video games should be more like other forms of art and abandon what makes it a unique and interesting experience in favor of following more artistic endeavors. Don’t believe me, read the archive.

https://archive.is/yeeCy

So, many gamers are not very happy with this article to say the least. Many of them are just being reaffirmed in their belief that games journalists are very disconnected from the average gamer. Seriously, this is the most pretentious article I’ve had the displeasure of reading since the Gamer’s Are Dead articles. Like seriously, if you hate video games, you shouldn’t be writing about video games for a gaming news website. Polygon get it together. A multiple billion dollar industry deserves better than your narcissistic, self-indulgent, high school grade garbage.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

I also seems that the article may also be a breach of ethical conduct. Polygon has edited the intro and the author to try to hide the fact they are just shilling a friend’s book. This video sums it up better than I can.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Sadly, this is how far discussions have come: Instead of talking or exchanging ideas, we shove our egos into the peoples throats and hope we make big bucks! It’s downright insulting that this is an OK thing to do and sell it off as a book, which is not. But hey, that’s how big multi billion dollar websites are, so what the hell do I know?

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

TotalBiscuit did a video on this Polygon article. Since his comment section is closed, I’ll post my comment on the video here.

You said you agreed with a lot of what the article said, but then all you agreed on is that there is video game logic in video games. It feels just a tad bit disingenuous. It sounds like you’re just trying to dodge the controversy while still paying it lip service.

The reason the whole games are art debate is important is because a lot of gamers what games analyzed like we do every other form of art. It’s beneficial to the media to analyze art so that games can be driven forward more than just the natural selection of the market. Underrated games deserve to have their contribution to the media acknowledged & have lessons learn from them even though they didn’t sell well. Think of it like Van Gogh’s art work; it’s great but never sold well in the time he was alive.

Treating games as just another consumer good is a problem. Analysis that fails to even understand the basic modus operandi of video games are a problem. The article is 4 years late in the debate & would be considered a relic of the past if the release date was blacked out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.