Youtube Copyright Bullshit

Home Forums Off Topic Youtube Copyright Bullshit

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by The Cartoon Physicist The Cartoon Physicist 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Now I am a fan of the Nostalgia Critic. But whether you’re a fan or not, this is a big problem. Channels are being deleted on a whim, any of us could be next.

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

As much as I really don’t care for TGWTG, Doug brings up a lot of good points about how flawed YouTube is. The biggest issue isn’t necessarily that the system is automated (millions of uploads daily would be nearly impossible to manage manually) but it’s the lackluster features to contest copyright strikes and/or appeal to YouTube directly. Of course, there’s probably tens of thousands of those daily, as well. So an automated system is the only reasonable way to scan videos for copyright materials. However it shouldn’t be the final judge, jury and executioner.

Anyways, Doug’s monetization is back up and running, according to his latest video on the matter. Apparently having quite a large fanbase and calling out YouTube is the best way to get YouTube’s attention. And rightfully so. Corporations HAVE to bend to the whims of their consumers or they lose profits. Economic Darwinism: be adapted to your ever-changing environment, or go extinct.

Doug also mentions a recent verdict in a copyright case, ‘Lenz v Universal Music Corp’, where a mother created a dancing baby video to some copyright music and was SUED by Universal. The ruling was that the those claiming copyrights MUST consider Fair Use BEFORE issuing a copyright infringement charge. And as Doug states, YouTube is NOT doing that. A machine probably can’t do that. And that’s really the problem. There needs to be a human element, some common sense, shades-of-gray viewpoint applied before such a charge can be made.

But again, it’s YouTube where -like a college campus- you’re guilty until proven innocent.

I’m not a fan of TGWTG, but I do applaud him for creating a voice (read: rallying cry) against this sort of rampant copyright-claim abuse, and hopefully it sparks enough awareness that it kicks Google in the ass a bit. Now, if there was a court ruling where false copyright claims were PUNISHABLE by those issuing them. Which is actually covered in the same Lenz v Universal ruling:

“Today, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled that copyright holders like Universal must consider fair use before trying to remove content from the Internet. It also rejected Universal’s claim that a victim of takedown abuse cannot vindicate her rights if she cannot show actual monetary loss.”

https://www.eff.org/press/releases/important-win-fair-use-dancing-baby-lawsuit

At least the situation got me motivated to finally create my own website.

https://thecartoonphysicist.wordpress.com

You know what, this video sums everything up better than the first one.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.