YouTube Strikes Back

Home Forums Off Topic YouTube Strikes Back

This topic contains 22 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Mr.K Mr.K 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

On Twitter, there’s a lot of people saying “Get a real job” and “It’s not censorship to demonetize videos”. There’s no other job or profession that is pro bono by default. YouTuber is no exception you jealous cretins. Also, if it’s censorship to go after someone’s job for disagreement, then it’s censorship to demonetize videos that are some YouTubers’ main source of income.

I never thought YouTube would be this stupid. I never imagined YouTube would shoot itself in the foot like this. Less ads means YouTube makes less money. The only way this makes rational sense is if someone is paying YouTube enough money/services/political-favors to out weight the lost ad revenue it’s about to get hit with. I dislike conspiracy theories, though someone should consider following the oil on this one. Successful companies tend make good decisions, it ho they became successful in the first place. Either this is one large lapse in judgement or there’s something going on that no one is aware of.

Well, Obama is handing over ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) to the UN October 1st, so maybe YouTube is positioning itself to placate & appease dictators who are about to influence the internet via the UN.

“Authoritarian regimes have already proposed Icann become part of the U.N. to make it easier for them to censor the internet globally.” – the Wall Street Journal‘s L. Gordon Crovitz

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

@Shinra Kuroki And we all know how useless the UN really is…

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Well, Obama is handing over ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) to the UN October 1st, so maybe YouTube is positioning itself to placate & appease dictators who are about to influence the internet via the UN.

“Authoritarian regimes have already proposed Icann become part of the U.N. to make it easier for them to censor the internet globally.” – the Wall Street Journal‘s L. Gordon Crovitz

Oh god, they really aren’t gonna do it right? It can’t possibly be true… It’s like censoring parts of the skeleton because it offends people.

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

CineMax
    CineMax
    Participant

Some good objective analysis by TL;DR. We don’t have enough evidence that this new shift is politically motivated. However, the best way to ensure that your favorite YT keep producing what they like is to support them via alternative means.

He even lambastes the typical entitlement you see in the comment section. “B-buh diz isn’t a real job! You should entertain us fur free!”

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

@cinemax That was a good listen. I think I do get a little about the whole fiasco now but I’ll still keep an eye out for updates. Thanks! 👍

0megablaster
    Participant

I’ll just leave this here. This sums up almost everything really nicely

We live to play and let's players play to live. Life isn't easy but it sure is fun.

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

Some good objective analysis by TL;DR. We don’t have enough evidence that this new shift is politically motivated. However, the best way to ensure that your favorite YT keep producing what they like is to support them via alternative means.

He even lambastes the typical entitlement you see in the comment section. “B-buh diz isn’t a real job! You should entertain us fur free!”

I really disagree with TL;DR right here. The question isn’t “Is it political motivated?”, it’s “When will it be used to censor unpopular views, if it hasn’t already?”. Call it a slippery slope, but all evidence points to that eventuality. You can say it’s being applied indiscriminately, but we already know how quick Anita get’s her DMCAs fixed by YouTube when it would take normal people months to have it fixed. All it’ll take is a little discretion & all that favoritism will be completely obfuscated.

Also, while supporting YouTubers in other ways is great idea, it can’t replace also having ad sense. The law of supply still predicts there will be a big drop off content. The pool of resources will shrink, which isn’t good if you’re like me & have completely replaced TV with YouTube. Also, considering that YouTube is no longer making money off these videos, the next step will be to purge them. It would be easy to wait a few months and just change the demonetization rules into the take down rules. It won’t effect their bottom line anymore and YouTube is paying to host these videos free of charge (which is more expensive for the popular videos they are hosting considering the amount of traffic they get), all they need is to keep moving in small steps to prevent a boycott and/or a strike. The next move will probably be to take the demonetized videos off of suggested videos lists & to put them further back in search results. Why would YouTube promote them when all they do is cost the site money? Also, these channels will get put on the back burner for DMCA claims, considering YouTube no longer has an incentive to undo the DMCA.

Remove YouTube’s finical interest in channels (both popular or have the potential to become popular) and you have already set into motion inevitable de facto censorship. I love the niche content that YouTube has brought me, but the uncertainty YouTube keeps causing can shatter it or at the very least greatly slow it down. Making YouTube a job is a huge risk. Now it’s a huge risk along side another huge risk that Big Brother YouTube won’t destroy you for saying the wrong thing. The law of demand states the more something costs, the less people will demand it. It would be completely economically rational to say these rules are destroying channels that don’t even exist yet and that annoys me to no end. The great thing about YouTube is you didn’t have to go though a TV channel & all the executives, you just had to put out your videos to the people of the internet. These arbitrary rules are going to turn YouTube into another executive gated community; probably not one as bad as TV but definitely not the laissez faire system I have come to enjoy.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Speaking of Youtube shooting itself in the foot:

Here’s a comical version of this video:

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.